Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Hooking up gauges during routine preventative maintenance visits?

I had a Trane XV18 heat pump installed by a contractor that I found on this webpage about 12 months ago. It's working fine. I'm coming up on my second routine preventative maintenance, and I am curious if it would be acceptable for me to ask the technician not to hook his gauges up to the system.

Reason I ask is that, because the system is working fine, I'd rather simply avoid the small risk of exposing the sealed refrigerant system to any problems. I'm sure it's rare, but I've read stories of schrader cores malfunctioning, gauge hoses breaking, etc.

So I guess given that I'm not experiencing any issues or symptoms of any problems, I'd rather the tech do as little as possible to the system that might disturb anything. That said, I also don't want to make him angry by being perceived as trying to tell him how to do his job.

Thoughts? Would it be OK to politely request that he not hook up his gauges? Or am I better off just letting him do the PM exactly as he sees appropriate?

Post Likes
    You feel the system is working fine but Super Heat and Sub Cooling readings are part of the Maintenance so if done properly its a non issue. In refrigeration we delay hooking up gauges because of the much smaller charges. Oz instead of #'s

Gauge up, get the readings. Close the high side connection and less then an Oz of refrigerant is lost!

Post Likes
    There are ways of just measuring pipe temperature along with temperature drop over the coils, provided those were measured and recorded during commissioning. If the results of current measurements are close to the originals, then there's no need to connect manifold again.
    You probably wouldn't offend the tech if you asked him if he can use that method.
    But, connecting a manifold is a common thing to do. I am not concerned about doing it, except in cases of critical charge as mentioned by pecmsg.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    You wouldn't offend me by asking that, it's your equipment. Unless they were putting it into charge mode to test it running at 100% your gauges arent going to tell you anything, the system may only be working at 60% to maintain on a mild day. I have never thrown gauges on unless I believe theres a problem with the refrigeration circuit on a PM, no need to introduce into your system whatever the previous person's system had floating about in it. I've had some systems push ugly crap out of them into my gauges. Having said all that, now that I have wireless smart probes I may change that policy

Post Likes
    Unless we’re talking mini splits yes get the equipment to full stage and compact the SH / SC to the start up and commissioning report that “Should” have been done.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    . Having said all that, now that I have wireless smart probes I may change that policy
    Let us know how you like the wireless probes. Which ones did you get? I really dig the Fieldpiece Joblink probes using MeasureQuick. I can get a thorough report from that set up.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    That's what I've got, they are awesome. I wish I wish I wish that they would/could give the air probes the ability to measure airflow or static pressure as well, but i really like them, have only used them with MQ. No problems, even way out in the sticks

Post Likes
    Since you can get superheat and subcooling from the CDA there is no reason to hook gauges up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ebierley View Post
    Since you can get superheat and subcooling from the CDA there is no reason to hook gauges up.

What does this mean? That you can see it on the screen of the air handler?

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ebierley View Post

How do you get subcool & superheat without pressures?
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    How do you get subcool & superheat without pressures?
    These units have pressure and temp sensors built in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aunsafe2015 View Post
    What does this mean? That you can see it on the screen of the air handler?

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk
    Air handler and the outdoor unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I forgot about that, very good point

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast