Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Northern NV
    Posts
    2,082
    Post Likes

    Location of evap in a walk in refrigerator box

    Curious as to why every evap I've ever come across is mounted as close to the wall as possible? Makes them a PITA to clean and repair due to shelving units invariably installed directly under them.

    Have to replace a medium temp evap in a walk in and plan on relocating it to an easier to service location on the ceiling.

    Any feedback on this thought?
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    27,291
    Post Likes
    1/2 the width of the coil off the wall if you follow the book.

    Unfortunately we don't have a lot of choices in small boxes. I like the Space Mizer for that reason.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,696
    Post Likes
    I too am redoing one that is in the corner and in about the worst place possible and wonder the same thing. I plan to move it for easier maintenance. Curious to see what others might say.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    1,800
    Post Likes
    I try for 18” to 2’ off the wall, and blowing towards the entry door or glass doors if it has them.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

    I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    679
    Post Likes
    I always distance off the wall the vertical exposed measurement of the fins on the back of the coil.

    Coil facing the door when possible.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    27,291
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stat View Post
    I always distance off the wall the vertical exposed measurement of the fins on the back of the coil.

    Coil facing the door when possible.
    Page 3

    1/2 the Width of the coil.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Northern NV
    Posts
    2,082
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Not looking at the minimum distance as that is the "rub"

    Probably going for about 2' from the wall, possibly more.

    12x12x8 box

    Present evap has bottom rows rotted out, probably from botched attempts to clean and not get well rinsed...
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    679
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Page 3

    1/2 the Width of the coil.

    1/2 half the width?
    Some of my coils are 6' long.

    Just joshing with ya.

    Equal the height and they work and be can be easily cleaned.

    Now granted, 90% of the coils I install are low profile.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN
    Posts
    3,375
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stat View Post
    1/2 half the width?
    Some of my coils are 6' long.

    Just joshing with ya.

    Equal the height and they work and be can be easily cleaned.

    Now granted, 90% of the coils I install are low profile.


    Yeah, they're 6' long, but the coils are only 1/2" wide. So as long as it's at least 1/4" from the wall you should be golden!

    This stuff has always confused me as well. My interpretation is that yes, if the evap is 6' long then it should be 3' from the wall. If this is correct then I dont know if I've ever seen an evaporator installed correctly, unless it was a little one fan jobbie.

    Also, I've seen instructions that said they wanted the drain line pitched 4" per foot. That's a pretty extreme pitch that I always assumed was a typo. Somewhere around 1/4" per foot has always gotten the job done for me.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    27,291
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Yeah, they're 6' long, but the coils are only 1/2" wide. So as long as it's at least 1/4" from the wall you should be golden!

    This stuff has always confused me as well. My interpretation is that yes, if the evap is 6' long then it should be 3' from the wall. If this is correct then I dont know if I've ever seen an evaporator installed correctly, unless it was a little one fan jobbie.

    Also, I've seen instructions that said they wanted the drain line pitched 4" per foot. That's a pretty extreme pitch that I always assumed was a typo. Somewhere around 1/4" per foot has always gotten the job done for me.
    In a Heatcraft class it was explained the reason the drain was angled like that was so product couldn’t be packed up against the blower and cut off air flow!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    1,479
    Post Likes
    The manual linked to says on pg 3 that 1/2 the width is for a medium profile coil. A 12x12' box will almost definitely have a low profile coil, so 1-1/2 times the height would be the correct fomula

    If i remember correctly most are about 12" tall so probably 18".

    That being said, probably 98% of every low profile coil i've seen is 12-14" from back wall, and I've never seen any issue other than difficult to clean.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hibbing, MN
    Posts
    823
    Post Likes
    I hate trying to access the electrical side or the txv side on top of shelving stacked with product! It would be so nice to not have to bend my body in half and work in a half reclined position on an icy shelf looking through my bifocals sideways.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

  13. Likes bacciagalupe liked this post.
  14. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    1,800
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisRefrig View Post
    I hate trying to access the electrical side or the txv side on top of shelving stacked with product! It would be so nice to not have to bend my body in half and work in a half reclined position on an icy shelf looking through my bifocals sideways.
    The only way I’ve seen this is when the evaps are 30’ in the air.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

    I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Contracting Business
HPAC Engineering
EC&M
CONTRACTOR