Post Likes

Can Ecobee4 replace my Trane XL824 Thermostat without losing any functionality?

Hello,
    A year and a half ago I had a Trane XL15c packaged unit (model 4YCY5048A1090A) installed to service my downstairs and my invoice indicates this is a 2-stage heating and variable speed blower. They also installed a Nexia XL824 thermostat. This unit is working fine but I installed an Ecobee4 thermostat for my upstairs and I like the software application much better compared to the Nexia and I'd prefer one application vs two.

From reading, it appears my unit is non-communicating so the Ecobee4 should work but my concern is what would I be losing if I were to install the Ecobee4? On the XL824, I do have humidification settings but I have not clearly found a similar setting on my existing Ecobee.
    I would appreciate input from the forum before purchasing another Ecobee. Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    You would loose the ability for the thermostat to slow the blower to increase dehumidification in AC if the installers wired and set it up correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ebierley View Post
    You would loose the ability for the thermostat to slow the blower to increase dehumidification in AC if the installers wired and set it up correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank You. Would this would mean that although the air temp would be the same, the lower humidity would make it feel cooler? I seem to recall the installer telling me something along these lines. Can the Ecobee compensate for this feature?

Post Likes
    If the ecobee has a dehumidify mode, it could be used to set the default dehumidifiy speed on the blower. if there were other functions set for airflow control, like hot heat mode, etc, would loose those.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    The XL824 is a far better thermostat compared to the Ecobee. Not saying the Ecobee is bad for a HomeDepot/ Amazon DIY special, but the XL824 has a lot more functionality, and works with the Trane unit better if it's set up correctly.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates