Post Likes

Basement returns and radon

My unfinished basement has a radon problem. There isn't enough air movement under the slab for an under-slab depressurization unit, so I had an ERV installed. The radon levels haven't gone down far enough, and my radon mitigation contractor says the problem is that in my unfinished basement room there is a large return and only a small supply for my HVAC system. They believe that this is creating a negative pressure in the basement, effectively pulling more radon through the slab and walls. They are recommending that I have an HVAC contractor remove this return. I've tried to find a definitive answer online as to whether a return in a basement can increase radon levels, but I can't find one. I am hoping this community can provide some informed opinions on this.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BigData View Post
    My unfinished basement has a radon problem. There isn't enough air movement under the slab for an under-slab depressurization unit, so I had an ERV installed. The radon levels haven't gone down far enough, and my radon mitigation contractor says the problem is that in my unfinished basement room there is a large return and only a small supply for my HVAC system. They believe that this is creating a negative pressure in the basement, effectively pulling more radon through the slab and walls. They are recommending that I have an HVAC contractor remove this return. I've tried to find a definitive answer online as to whether a return in a basement can increase radon levels, but I can't find one. I am hoping this community can provide some informed opinions on this.
    Blue highlight portion;

Isn't that why they install a powered unit?

Red highlighted portion;

Who suggested that would do anything for radon? If it was your radon contractor(not knowing much about radon removal) I would look for another contractor!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    How did you come up with a radon issue? Using one of those monitors you can send in for testing or is it a problem in your area? Curious.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes