Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 30
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    edmonds wa
    Posts
    4,434
    Post Likes
    That operation has been used by carrier for awhile now in those class of units. wired those as a normal 2 stage heat cool unit on the stat, some stats put on temp lockout for w2 with a emer heat relay as some stats would use w2 for coming out of setback.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    169
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    I checked when Heating turned off and I still have 24v on G and W terminal, unit continues to run in heating mode.When I pulled thermostat off the wall, unit shuts off. But it only does that in heating mode in cooling mode it shuts of normal.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    edmonds wa
    Posts
    4,434
    Post Likes
    Like said before something wired wrong, pull wires off stat and unit, test unit as i said ,ohm stats wire to verify no continuity between them, if all that is good wire and set up stat correctly. If problem comes back replace stat.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

  4. #17
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    VA/DC
    Posts
    320
    Post Likes
    this unit as all carrier commercial heat pumps operate this way.

    you only use a conventional 2c/2h thermostat with the fan control set to the unit controls fan in heating, just as you would a gas furnace.

    g runs the fan
    Y runs the compressor for cooling.
    The reversing valve is always energized where there is no call or the thermostat wires are disconnected.
    There is no O terminal. its on the defrost board for its internal function only. Not for thermostat control
    when w1 is energized it de energizes the reversing valve. turns on the indoor fan and the compressor.
    w2 turns on the aux heat.

    you're looking for something that doesn't exist otherwise

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    169
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    I went back to the job site now more confused than last time. I tried new thermostat that didn't work, ohm all wires to ground and across each other, everything checks out ok. Pulled new wire just for the hell of it and same problem. So now its either heating relay or defrost control board or something is back feeding. Never seen this problem.???? what you guys think????

  6. #19
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    VA/DC
    Posts
    320
    Post Likes
    What configuration is the thermostat in? are you still trying to use the O output? did you set the stat for 2h2c conventional? If you didn't read 2 post down.

    Did you try putting the fan in on, and just jump the r-w1,w2 to see if the unit ran. And when checking it this time did you put your gauges on and take line temps?






    Quote Originally Posted by drage93 View Post
    I went back to the job site now more confused than last time. I tried new thermostat that didn't work, ohm all wires to ground and across each other, everything checks out ok. Pulled new wire just for the hell of it and same problem. So now its either heating relay or defrost control board or something is back feeding. Never seen this problem.???? what you guys think????

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    169
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool breeze 38 View Post
    What configuration is the thermostat in? are you still trying to use the O output? did you set the stat for 2h2c conventional? If you didn't read 2 post down.

    Did you try putting the fan in on, and just jump the r-w1,w2 to see if the unit ran. And when checking it this time did you put your gauges on and take line temps?
    Thermostat is on B configuration that how it needs to be. W terminal is energized in heating mode. Reversing valve is de-energized through the heating relay. Yeah I did jump the unit without the thermostat and everything works how is supposed work. But for some reason when is controlled by thermostat it gets stuck. If you havenÂ’t read I tried new thermostat and new wire.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    VA/DC
    Posts
    320
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drage93 View Post
    Thermostat is on B configuration that how it needs to be. W terminal is energized in heating mode. Reversing valve is de-energized through the heating relay. Yeah I did jump the unit without the thermostat and everything works how is supposed work. But for some reason when is controlled by thermostat it gets stuck. If you havenÂ’t read I tried new thermostat and new wire.
    if youre not using the thermostat in a gas furnace/ ac configuration with no O/B output its not going to work. By testing with jumpers worked fine and thermostat didn't, there is the issue. stop using a heat pump stat.

    Yeah I read new stat and wire. but obviously that wasnt it.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    169
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Yeah I got it fixed I needed to program the thermostat for gas application instead of heat pump go figure I am not sure how the other units operate they are all set up with o option on thermostat.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Arnold, Mo
    Posts
    1,009
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drage93 View Post
    Yeah I got it fixed I needed to program the thermostat for gas application instead of heat pump go figure I am not sure how the other units operate they are all set up with o option on thermostat.
    I don't see very many heat pump RTUs here, but every one that I've seen, the tstat gets wired like a conventional unit, not a heat pump.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    SouthEast NC ICW & Piedmont Foothills
    Posts
    7,928
    Post Likes
    This is a GEMINI series machine.
    1- t-stat HAS to be configured as ELECTRIC HEAT.
    2- DO NOT set heat cycle rate above 5, 4 is better. If set higher than 5 cph the control board will see this as a fault and lock out.

    If t-stat is configured incorrectly, the unit will function properly when both stages of heat are operating, but when t-stat falls back to 1st stage heat it WILL run in cooling.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    VA/DC
    Posts
    320
    Post Likes
    anyone in here know how to read that wire diagram posted previously?


    Can anyone that have made comments on operation show how on the wire diagram that their theory is right.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    VA/DC
    Posts
    320
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drage93 View Post
    Yeah I got it fixed I needed to program the thermostat for gas application instead of heat pump go figure I am not sure how the other units operate they are all set up with o option on thermostat.
    you should go change them all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Contracting Business
HPAC Engineering
EC&M
CONTRACTOR