Thread: Drip Pan

Post Likes

Drip Pan

I am having a new system installed along with all new duct work. My air handler is going to be relocated in another side of my attic to help make my new duct work more efficient. I will be making a platform out of 3/4 inch plywood which will be tied into my attic rafters. This platform will be about 6 1/2 feet off of the attic floor and the drip pan will be resting on it. Right above this drip pan will be my air handler suspended with 1/2 inch rods. Here is my question. In inches, how high should the bottom of my air handler be suspended in relationship to the bottom of my drip pan?

Post Likes
    Just has to be high enough for the coil to be removed .

Post Likes
    Think about the need for servicing the unit.

Screw access.

Parts removal.

Etc
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Make sure to build a walkway platform and also a large enough platform in front of the unit for the technician to stand and service all components.

In most jurisdictions a service platform is required the width of the unit and a depth of 24-36 inches in front of the system. And also a 16-30 inch wide walk way from attic access to unit.

Post Likes
    It’s going to be 6ft off the attic floor?
    You’d have to drag a ladder up into the attic just to work on it.
    That sounds like a service nightmare.

3 to 4 feet would be better

Post Likes
    Better have a safety railing around the platforms edge and a built in ladder. I would be discussing with my homeowner insurance provider if this would open me up to liability should someone fall from the structure your going to build, they may require a contractor to do the work

Post Likes
    Code is 3” larger than the hvac equipment as well. Make sure you have a clear inch and half on all 4 sides of the equipment. I

Post Likes
    And a service outlet with light and water sensor in pan.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    Vegas is right. Totally passed over my head, 6ft off the attic floor is a service nightmare. If you have that much height n your attic, could they put in an upflow system closer to the attic floor with enough room for proper service and repair? And then run the supply duct up to the higher attic level?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Advanced Response View Post
    Vegas is right. Totally passed over my head, 6ft off the attic floor is a service nightmare. If you have that much height n your attic, could they put in an upflow system closer to the attic floor with enough room for proper service and repair? And then run the supply duct up to the higher attic level?
    Agreed. Horizontals are a nightmare.