Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    You need to do the math as said above, and then get bids that will show a heat loss calc, a thorough inspection of duct system and referrals of past customers. You are buying a system of parts that all need to work together. Most electric providers will have a lot of free info and maybe even financing. And find a good electrician for that panel changeout.
    Quote Originally Posted by decomo View Post
    It was built in the early 60. I had a title 24 report done by a title 24 company and the numbers shown in the first message came from that report. I am in Northern California, and the house is about 2800 sf. Yes, I am concerned about the 100A panel and it's about full. I was hoping that the slot of the breaker for the furnace can be used for the heat pump but may have to be upgraded to 50A or so. The city where I am at is pushing for pushing for zero carbon and this year (2020) requires all new construction to use heat pump for heating and for water. I believe they have a special utility rate for households that use heat pump to make the cost competitive comparing to natural gas.
    It sure is odd that a state that imports a majority of their electricity and has rolling black outs wants to go all electric.

Also, many cities in CA have the highest electricity rates in the country!!!

Great minds in CA politics.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    As you mentioned older house, i would see if your utility will do energy audit. This would show where upgrades in the structure would help in both the long and short term. They may even provide rebates for that also.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    Yes, the city is offering rebate to convert gas water heater to heat pump water heater, but not the furnace yet. By the way, I was near the Kingston and Costco area near Aurora and 200th just a few days ago, not too far from Edmond.

Post Likes
    Does your city provide the power, if not,most utility's have options, financing and lots of info on heat pumps. Check out a Sanden water heating heat pump, all the heat it uses come from outdoors instead of the living space. i have had one now going on 3 years. If you come back up here send me a note, i can show you what i use for 4 different heat pumps and the solar i use to power all.

Post Likes
    for the rebate, they have the following requirements:
    ☐ Replacing an existing gas water heater
    ☐ Has a minimum Uniform Energy Factor of 2.87 or greater
    ☐ Has a thermostatic mixing valve
    ☐ is Energy Star® Certified
    ☐ Grid-connected capabilities (i.e., has grid-connected communications device that can allow the
    grid operator or Clean Energy to control in real time).

Post Likes
    The Sanden model come with the mixing valve, and the newer model may be able to be utility controlled. Mine has a built in time clock you can program for time of day usage. They also have a very high energy factor number and a very good warranty, not cheap though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12