Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Gas Valve on Furnace

I have a 13 month old furnace that needs to have a new gas (Propane) valve put on it. The HVAC tech says they sometimes only last a year?? I had to pay (service call) for him to come out and diagnose the problem and now he has to order the part and charge me (service call) again to put it in. He said he wouldn't charge for the part. Does this sound right?

Post Likes
    They last longer then a year and at 13 months it should be covered by warranty.

Make and model of furnace?

Don't like the service try a different contractor.

Post Likes
    Yeah, he said it was covered - I am just concerned this will be a yearly thing and paying him twice to fix the issue is going to become expensive. I don't have the model # with me but it is an Amana furnace. I was using them as they are the ones that installed it but I may have to check with other contractors as suggested.........Thank you!

Post Likes
    If this is the installing contractor they should cover the labor as well at 13 months. Good customer relations. As far as failing in the first year its rare but does happen.

Post Likes
    Generally there is a manufactures parts and labor warranty that lasts for a year after install. Most contractors have their own warranties that also typically last around a year. The manufacture will also have a limited parts warranty that only covers the part itself(not the labor to install it.) These last considerably longer with most (if they've been registered) lasting 10 years+.

A valve failing 13 months after install is not normal, but nothing surprises me at this point. Assuming that the diagnosis is correct and that it is just a faulty valve and nothing more. I would be extremely confident that you will not replace the valve again for many many years(if ever).

Although 13 months would technically be passed our first year labor warranty, I would expect that your having recently spent such a large amount of $$$$ with us would get you at least a waived trip and diagnostic. That being said, I'll not judge this company for charging for their service if it is out of warranty.
    Call and raise hell with Goodman/Daiken/Amana. Sometimes they will give you something for the labor. Worse they could say is no.
    -"There always seems to be enough money to do it right the second time"

Post Likes
    Thank you.

Post Likes
    No, contractor says no. Said it costs him to send his truck out and he didn't charge for parts. Thank you!

Post Likes
    At least you tried. Don't take it personally. If I buy a $50K truck and the fuel pump goes out a month out of warranty the dealer doesn't give me any kind of break either,been there.

Post Likes
    Right!! Just leaves a bad taste in your mouth for these people. Well, time to find someone else as their prices are somewhat higher than other places...........

Post Likes
    The last thing you want to do is shop by price.
    Find a company / tech you can trust. It will take a while but once you do pay what they want and hold on to them.

Post Likes
    Understood. This is the second time they needed to order a part and have to come back twice and therefore charging me twice. After spending almost 10K for a new furnace/central air and hot water tank I would think they would give me a break especially within the warranty period. They weren't the cheapest quote I got for the above but I felt confident they would do a good job. We have had a "lot" of little issues with them including a pipe broke after new hot water installed. We asked if it could have been "loosened" as it broke at elbow next to tank and they said no. That cost me to have fixed too. No break on labor or anything. At this point I owe them nothing!

Post Likes
    SO, Part was replaced Thursday. Guess who has no heat again!!! Ridiculous!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie617 View Post
    SO, Part was replaced Thursday. Guess who has no heat again!!! Ridiculous!
    Guess whos getting a credit for the parts and labor!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast