+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HVAC Mining industry Australia

Post Likes

HVAC Mining industry Australia

Hey ,
    I’ve seen ads online for Australian mining companies looking for hvac techs to work in the mines. I think this would be a great opportunity to make some money and see another country.
    I would need to get my Canadian red seal ticket Credentials transferee and a few other licenses upon arrival.
    Would it be worth it for me to apply for the visa, transfer my credentials and fly down with the hopes of landing one of these jobs or are there jobs very hard to get ?
    I would get at least one year visa , there are options on 4 year visas for certain in demand jobs Over there.
    I’ve emailed a few companies and they all say to call them when I get there. I just don’t want to fly down there and find out there are no jobs for.
    Any info on Australian Refrigeration mining jobs we be appreciated

Post Likes
    Australia currently has the 12th highest cost of living in the world, with the USA and UK well behind at 21 and 23rd place respectively...just saying

Post Likes
    I can't imagine the pay would be worth it. Think about it, the demand is probably high because it is crappy work and not enough monies to offset the crappiness.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Years back we did air balance in a mine. All they were concerned with was ventilation. That's about all I remember because I didn't go to the job site. We had to get a book on the ventilation but it wasn't very impressive.

BBeerme is probably right on this.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    There are lots of mining operations in the USA and Canada...

If it were me... I would stay here...

If I remember...

Stillwater... mines Platinum and Palladium... is in Montana (USA)... a union company, and pays high wages...

Might check them out...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Years ago had a friend of a co-worker who was going to go to North Dakota or somewhere similar. Oil well country I think. The money was going to be real real good. And they were going to pay for all relocation expenses. Sounded real legit.

And by legit, if memory serves, they were up front in saying it was the middle of nowhere and nothing else to do there. I think this friend of a friend wanted to do it for a couple of years and just bank the money so he could buy a house. Don't have a clue how it turned out.

Post Likes
    Stillwater mine is in Libby MT and is owned by a Russian company FWIW
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    Stillwater mine is in Libby MT and is owned by a Russian company FWIW
    Back in the early/mid 2000's... when the foundation for the recession and subsequent run up in PM's (precious metals) happened...
    I owned stock in Stillwater mining...
    May have been owned by the Russkies or maybe not at the time... do seem to remember something about them buying it at one time or another...

Anyhow... remember reading a couple of annual reports... and shaking my head at the amount of $$$ going out for labor costs...

Sold it next time it was high enough to give me a decent return...
    Other mines that were better deals!

PGM's (platinum group metals: platinum and palladium, and a few really exotic things)...
    Are mostly industrial metals in special high tech places...
    AND... they are the basis of catalytic converters on all internal combustion engines...

SOOO... there will be a market for PGM's for a long time!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)

Post Likes
    GA; what are you putting your $$ into now? Any precious metals miners or rare earth mines?

Trying not to be the "greater fool" and be the last one in on anything... Done that already too many times!

Happy New Year to ya...
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    GA; what are you putting your $$ into now? Any precious metals miners or rare earth mines?

Trying not to be the "greater fool" and be the last one in on anything... Done that already too many times!

Happy New Year to ya...
    Honestly...
    That is the $1M question...
    And yeah... been late to the game before... and lost $$$...

I am getting 2x conflicting scenarios from the sources I follow; as to where things are going...
    *One group says a recession is on the horizon and is spreading 'soft' doom and gloom... which of course is good for PM's...
    *The other group says happy days are here to stay, for the short term anyways... points to: Brexit means increased trade with England, USMCA will be approved soon which leads to something like 165-175K new jobs in the USA, and the trade deals with China are finally happening.
    *Then there is the political part: Trump wants the economy good, so he can get re-elected...
    The left (and some RINO's) want the economy BAD (and a few DIMS are actually trying to crash things)... so Trump will loose...

I do see that gold jumped... however so did crude oil and so did copper...
    Yet the latter two (oil and copper) are going soft today (today being 12/31)...
    Probably too early to see much in day to day trading patterns...

Been reading the following:
    *Energy (producers and service co's) are cheap...
    *Education (the business of college/university) is gonna take a hit in the years to follow; lower enrollments...
    *Price inflation is a given...
    *There is a glut in new cars; and there are too many auto loans overdue...
    *CC debt is high...
    YET...
    Jobs are plentiful...
    Un-employment is at record lows...
    And so far... interest rates are not going up...

Mixed bag...

Probably should start a thread on this after the first...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

11. Likes Juan Madera liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Put your money into things old people need, buy, or use.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Put your money into things old people need, buy, or use.
    With one exception...

Basic consumer staples companies... think P&G, J&J, etc... are at the top of their game now, may not be the best plan for growth of ones investment.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Remember the Great Recession? One of the best stocks around? One that went up, when the others went down? I think, you'd have to pull up a chart to verify.

Hint:
    Started with wal, and ended in mart.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    With one exception...

Basic consumer staples companies... think P&G, J&J, etc... are at the top of their game now, may not be the best plan for growth of ones investment.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Remember the Great Recession? One of the best stocks around? One that went up, when the others went down? I think, you'd have to pull up a chart to verify.

Hint:
    Started with wal, and ended in mart.
    Yeah... IMO WMT may well be a good play...
    Company is probably the ONE retailer that can take on Amazon and make headroads in...
    Albeit they have a ways to go before their website is near as friendly and easy to use as Amazon's...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 8_van_8 View Post
    Hey ,
    I’ve seen ads online for Australian mining companies looking for hvac techs to work in the mines. I think this would be a great opportunity to make some money and see another country.
    I would need to get my Canadian red seal ticket Credentials transferee and a few other licenses upon arrival.
    Would it be worth it for me to apply for the visa, transfer my credentials and fly down with the hopes of landing one of these jobs or are there jobs very hard to get ?
    I would get at least one year visa , there are options on 4 year visas for certain in demand jobs Over there.
    I’ve emailed a few companies and they all say to call them when I get there. I just don’t want to fly down there and find out there are no jobs for.
    Any info on Australian Refrigeration mining jobs we be appreciated
    Have you looked into the process and fees required to get qualifications recognized in Oz? From what I've heard/read it isn't cheap... $5000 plus.

On top of that, cost of living there is similar to Canada. Working conditions are better... 4 weeks/year paid holidays, sick days etc. Not sure if you'd qualify for Medicare, if you do, it is really good.

That's all to say, going for the money may be short sighted. You might as well just go to Fort Mac. If you want the experience of Oz, I'm not sure living in a mining camp is the best route. Even if in Emerald Qld or another populated area, somewhat limited in cultural experience.

Then of course, what about your tools? Hard to ship that over short term. I've given this advice here before, getting a Trades Assistant job in the HVAC field would be an easier approach, and for a short stay, little difference in income.

My only mining experience over there was a short stay in WA for a construction project. Hot, humid, dusty and full of men. Not my idea of a good time. Here's a satirical cartoon about camp life over there... Sorry mods, there is some swearing in this, but it's as cultural accurate as any National Geographic video (I'm serious) so maybe you'll let it slide?

https://youtu.be/ZyC3eCTVPSU

Post Likes
    Most of these jobs are running around servicing wall splits in the camps. Majority of work is service , of course you will get the occasional breakdown.
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    Have you looked into the process and fees required to get qualifications recognized in Oz? From what I've heard/read it isn't cheap... $5000 plus.

On top of that, cost of living there is similar to Canada. Working conditions are better... 4 weeks/year paid holidays, sick days etc. Not sure if you'd qualify for Medicare, if you do, it is really good.

That's all to say, going for the money may be short sighted. You might as well just go to Fort Mac. If you want the experience of Oz, I'm not sure living in a mining camp is the best route. Even if in Emerald Qld or another populated area, somewhat limited in cultural experience.

Then of course, what about your tools? Hard to ship that over short term. I've given this advice here before, getting a Trades Assistant job in the HVAC field would be an easier approach, and for a short stay, little difference in income.

My only mining experience over there was a short stay in WA for a construction project. Hot, humid, dusty and full of men. Not my idea of a good time. Here's a satirical cartoon about camp life over there... Sorry mods, there is some swearing in this, but it's as cultural accurate as any National Geographic video (I'm serious) so maybe you'll let it slide?

Hahaha these are all good points! I was thinking it would be a good mix of cultural experience while still making decent money etc. But yah might not be the best way to do it.
    Fort Mac might not be bad, could live in Calgary and get a full Alberta cultural experience !

19. Likes Lahrs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Funny vid. Sat down with my first brew after getting home from work. Typically, I don't click on that many vids here, gotta be something that really piques my interest, and not two hours long; just don't have that kind of time in my day.

After one minute, I figured I could hang with it. Sure glad I didn't grow up in mining country !!

Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post

21. Likes Lahrs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 8_van_8 View Post
    Hahaha these are all good points! I was thinking it would be a good mix of cultural experience while still making decent money etc. But yah might not be the best way to do it.
    Fort Mac might not be bad, could live in Calgary and get a full Alberta cultural experience !
    UA516 probably best bet in Van? If that's ya kind of thing, wasn't mine.

Go get your Class A gas, if you haven't already (assuming you have B ticket). Usually worth at least an couple extra bucks an hour, or five in my lucky case. The BCIT night course was a drag to do after work, but it's not nearly as hard as people think. Just math skills and memory, no harder than IP test. Having that extra ticket opens ALOT of doors. Pretty much guaranties a job interview!

I guess it all depends on what you're hoping for and whether have a family. A couple bucks an hour isn't worth lost happiness. But maybe you're just done with Vancouver?

If ya under 30, don't let me deter you from travelling!! One of the best things I did in my 20s. Go do the working holiday thing down under. It is an awesome country and Canadians are welcomed with open arms, chick's dig accents - or dudes, not to be presumptuous. But, unless you have a particularly high paying skillset, don't expect to get rich doing it.

Post Likes
    Yeah I'm making good money in Vancouver working for someone but it doesn't go far in this city. Gas A ticket is on my list as I do a lot of work with MUA's and boilers.
    Not looking to get rich in oz, if I can make enough to travel on days off, save a little bit every month so I don't come home broke that would be great. I wanted to get out of Vancouver for awhile and see how the real estate market plays out in a years time and re evaluate.
    The trades assistant on a working holiday would be a good experience. Although I am 31.....
    I'm going to look into the job market there and see if there is potential for someone to hire me on working visa. I don't want to fly all the way down there and not find work.. I know it is on par with Vancouver in cost of living.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in