Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Brand new Carrier Infinity furnace making unsual noise. Please help diagnose.

Hi All,

80K BTU, 2 stage, 96% efficiency unit installed less than 3 weeks ago. The noise (like the sound of braking a car with wet brakes) seems to be coming from the blower motor. Technician blamed it bad bearings. Replaced both motor and blower wheel a few days ago and the exact same sound is still there. The sound only appears when the blower motor slows down to a stop after every cycle. Now the tech said the sound is normal because of the nature of the DC motor. I'm stumped because it was this noise that made him decide to replace the motor in the first place. I made a video of the sound but forum rules says I can't post the link until I have at least 7 posts. Is it really normal for a brand new motor to make noise like this? Is there a break-in period? Is the batch of motors just defective?

Post Likes
    Post the video to you tube or somewhere else.

Post Likes
    Did the installing contractor start up and test the new furnace properly, as in static pressure , temp rise, etc or just throw it in and collect the check?
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    Did the installing contractor start up and test the new furnace properly, as in static pressure , temp rise, etc or just throw it in and collect the check?

Post Likes
    The installing contractor was negligent. Was not properly tested before he left because he was in a rush to complete 5 other installations that day. The owner did give me a good deal on an Infinity thermostat (after the "negligent" installation -- maybe he felt bad?) and I used its features to determine the static pressure myself. Varies from 0.65 to 0.80. Last week the furnace threw a code 32 and a technician came over to tinker around with the drainage reservoir and tubes. So far so good after he left. Anyhow, as soon as I hit 7 posts I'll post a link the my Google Drive where I stored the video to the unusual furnace noise. Btw, how does one check for temperature rise and what does this determine?

Post Likes
    Wow, 5 other installs that day. Just for him. How quickly did he rush through the install?

Sounds like you got hacked, and a hacked job is not worth any cost and is never known as a good deal.

Start saving for the next replacement now.

Wow I hate how there are these companies out here. But people still use them, I guess that is why. They make is all look bad.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Advanced Response View Post
    Wow, 5 other installs that day. Just for him. How quickly did he rush through the install?

Sounds like you got hacked, and a hacked job is not worth any cost and is never known as a good deal.

Start saving for the next replacement now.

Wow I hate how there are these companies out here. But people still use them, I guess that is why. They make is all look bad.
    Less than 2 hours from the time the installer and his assistant arrived to the time they left. How long does it usually take to do a proper installation?

Post Likes
    A lot longer than that!
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zenster905 View Post
    Less than 2 hours from the time the installer and his assistant arrived to the time they left. How long does it usually take to do a proper installation?
    I figure 2 guys all day.

Post Likes
    A lot longer than that!
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    I figure 2 guys all day.
    Oh man, too bad I didn't find out about this website before the installation.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    Post the video to you tube or somewhere else.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni-u...ature=youtu.be

Post Likes
    Duct tape and bubblegum

Post Likes
    For those who has seen the video what do you think is causing the motor to sound like this? Are the bearings under/over lubricated? Is the motor going through some sort of break-in period?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast