Thread: Pinhole Leaks

Post Likes

Pinhole Leaks

It seems a lot of guys like cutting out a section of water pipe that has a pinhole in it and pro press in a new section. I have always preferred brazing the pinhole shut assuming the pipe is in good shape. By cutting out and replacing (pro press) you are weakening the structural integrity of the pipe at the fittings. You should have the fittings at least 8" apart if you are pro pressing, so now you have essentially weakened a one foot section of pipe in 4 places and added 4 O-rings. By brazing you have strengthened the structural integrity of the pipe, have not added any unnecessary fittings and saved a bunch of time. This is the way I see it and prefer to do it. I was curious how you guys take care of small pinhole leaks on good copper pipe.

2. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I braze. That being said copper weakens every time you heat it. Still I braze reguardless.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have brazed and even just soldered over the spot. This is usually a temporary fix for me because if there is a pin hole, there is usually many more spots that will show up soon.
    I have used pipe wrap by Monster products to stop the leak untill we can schedule a shut down for the pipe effected.
    We normally replace 10 ft of pipe at a time, or as much to feel confident that the rest of the pipe is clean.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    We talking chilled or heated water or domestic water?
    Domestic water, most plumbers don’t carry 15% rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    in my area, water is acidic, so if starts w pinhole, others are sure to follow.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    I normally replace the section of pipe.

I normally see them due to rubbing on ceiling grid or something like that, cuts into it over time.

Post Likes
    What water lines are we talking about? Way more steel than copper in my area when it comes to chilled water. The leak itself should tell you the proper plan of action as there's too many variables to give just a blanketed answer. Pinholes in my experience are the warning signs of deeper issue. I braze to get unit up and running/stop leak but more than likely long term solution involves removing section(s) of pipe.

10. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Hmmm...

For domestic (residential) water lines... we always solder... just holds better IMO.
    Note that we have replaced a lot of dripping 'shark bite' fittings... those are junk!

For any refrigerant line... we always braze... or StayBrite-8 if heat is a problem (TXV).

We do not, yet, own a pro-press style tool... as we do not do enough water to justify the cost.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!