Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Oil fired furnace issues (short cycling?)

Greetings!

I have a oil fired furnace that is about 8 years old and lately I've come to notice that the thermostat will call for heat and the furnace will turn on, then after about 2 minutes it will turn off and stay off for about 5 minutes (no lights are shown on burner). After, it will turn the fan back on and blow luke warm air for a few minutes then turn off. Shortly after, it will turn back on and run like nothing happened. This continues throughout the entire day and sometimes doesn't turn on at all even though the thermostat is calling fore heat. I will then have to kill the power to the furnace in order to restore operation.

It started recently and being the weekend, I rather wait until Monday in order not to pay emergency rates since it still works. The thermostat has been replaced in order to rule it out.

By the way, if the burner is overheating, should any lights come on and require me to reset it?

Thanks!

Post Likes
    You didn’t give us any model numbers or manufacturer information to see exactly what you have. But no, a limit Is likely an automatic reset and no light will come on when it trips.
    When was the last time your oil furnace was cleaned and serviced?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    It's most likely oversized and unfortunately working correctly, although it may need a proper cleaning/tune-up. Did you change your air filter or put on a very restrictive air filter? Which air filter are you using?
    It is possible that your limit maybe sticking, but I just think it's oversized.
    When you replaced the thermostat you may have to properly program the cycles. Or if you are using programs, and your thermostat is trying to 'learn', could be the same issue.
    Also you on your thermostat, your fan should be set to 'Auto' and not 'On' or any other setting like 'Circ' (circulate), which will bring the fan on from time to time.

Basically, on a call for heat, the burner comes on. Then either after a predetermined temperature, or predetermined set time, the fan comes on. As long as the the heat exchanger stays under the high limit, the burner and fan will run. Once you hit the high limit temperature, the burner will shut off and the fan will run until either the call for heat is satisfied, or the temperature in the heat exchanger drops enough to allow the burner to come on.
    After a call for heat is satisfied, residual heat will build up in the heat exchanger, and the fan will come on once or twice again.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    @STEVEusaPA The filter I am using is not restrictive at all. In fact, I can see right through it. I did recently air sealed my basement door and lack of air sounds like a possibility based on your description.

The fan on the thermostat is set on auto and no learning is setup on my thermostat. The weird thing is it never behaved like this before so I am going to try and remove the air sealing or simply open a window and see what happens.

Basically, on a call for heat, the burner comes on. Then either after a predetermined temperature, or predetermined set time, the fan comes on. As long as the the heat exchanger stays under the high limit, the burner and fan will run. Once you hit the high limit temperature, the burner will shut off and the fan will run until either the call for heat is satisfied, or the temperature in the heat exchanger drops enough to allow the burner to come on.
    After a call for heat is satisfied, residual heat will build up in the heat exchanger, and the fan will come on once or twice again.
    This is exactly the behavior but again, it never worked like this in the past.

@rider77 The burner is a beckett and not sure on furnace model. I recently became the proud owner so have yet to dig through it. The furnace was serviced last year.

Post Likes
    You removed the learning? Do you have a Nest?

Post Likes
    Yes I do.

Post Likes
    That’s possibly the issue. You’ve gotten the junkiest, most problem filled thermostat available for purchase.

Post Likes
    Yeah would've helped if you mentioned that first.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Yep, probably the Nest causing it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by junior466 View Post
    Yes I do.
    Did you start the account Chencho and ask questions earlier this month?

If so, it is against our site rules to have more than one account. I will need to merge these accounts for you to stay legal here... please advise.

Thx

Post Likes
    Yes, it was me. Apologies for not reading the rules more carefully. I didn't want my new issue to be confused with previous ones. Please merge the account as needed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by junior466 View Post
    Yes, it was me. Apologies for not reading the rules more carefully. I didn't want my new issue to be confused with previous ones. Please merge the account as needed.
    This is done

Post Likes
    So, in your last posts under your old name your posted the following-

I had to fight them tooth and nail to get a replacement and they finally sent me one. Issue still remains. I crossed the wires and the system ran for over 10 minutes with no issues before I turned it off. I am going to buy a cheap thermostat to test it out but I would still like to know that if my system does overheat or any sort of issue caused by a part failure, if It would trip some sort of safety and require me to “reset” in order to resume operation.

I am buying a dumb thermostat and will report back my findings. Appreciate your help.

Update!

After an entire day with the new thermostat, the issue has disappeared. Great advice to start by replacing the Nest!

Thanks!
    This was all in late February/March of 19. So are you back to trying to use the Nest? Or are you refusing to accept the Nest is the source of your issues?
    Its confusing that we are here almost a year later and your posting about issues youve already said were solved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast