Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Converting Rheem furnaces back to Natural gas.

I have a customer that is getting ready to have natural gas ran to their home and getting off the LP. There are 9000 answers to converting to LP but can’t find anyone that can remind me how to go back from LP. Do I have to replace gas valves or is there a kit to put it back to natural gas since the contractor did not leave springs etc with unit 12 years ago when it was converted to LP.

Post Likes
    It all depends on the mfr.

Best to call a licensed qualified professional to determine the correct steps for the specific unit.

There is no generic answer.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I always left the converted parts in the burner compartment just in case, may dig around.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey F View Post
    I have a customer that is getting ready to have natural gas ran to their home and getting off the LP. There are 9000 answers to converting to LP but can’t find anyone that can remind me how to go back from LP. Do I have to replace gas valves or is there a kit to put it back to natural gas since the contractor did not leave springs etc with unit 12 years ago when it was converted to LP.
    Two things need to be done before you will receive much help:

1. Have this thread moved to the "Tech to Tech Chat - Residential" forum. You are asking this question in the forum that is for homeowners to ask non technical questions. Click on the small black triangle at the bottom of your thread, and ask to have it moved.

2. Please post the model number of the unit in question.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey F View Post
    I have a customer that is getting ready to have natural gas ran to their home and getting off the LP. There are 9000 answers to converting to LP but can’t find anyone....
    I must have told you a million times not to exaggerate like that.

Chances are you''ll have to replace the gas valve and the spuds (orifices). Furnaces are built for NG because it by far the more common fuel. I've never encountered a conversion kit for NG.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    the original orifice size should be in paperwork or on label of furnace, whioch can be ordered from manufacturer. don't know where you could buy the nat gas spring for valve, new valve or rob one from spare/used valve?

I also leave the parts with furnace.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Have them order replacement parts and just don’t say anything about it being lp.
    Everything will come setup for NG.

Post Likes

Thanks for the advise

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    It all depends on the mfr.

Best to call a licensed qualified professional to determine the correct steps for the specific unit.

There is no generic answer.
    I thought I included that they are Rheem furnaces and unfortunately I am the licensed qualified professional state contractor and in my 28 year career in the field I don’t believe I have ever been ask to convert a furnace back to natural from LP. I agree with the other comments I have always left the springs and orifices with unit just in case.
    I could not see any place to ask the question on text to tech chat so I must have posted in wrong chat.
    I just found out that three other contractors have told the couple they have to replace both furnaces for about $ and I was worried about the cost of replacing the gas valves lol.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-31-2019 at 05:42 AM.

Post Likes
    Call your local Raheem or Ruud distributor. They may have a kit. It will most likely be model specific. I know Carrier has LPG TO NAT conversion kits for their current furnace line.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    Call your local Raheem or Ruud distributor. They may have a kit. It will most likely be model specific. I know Carrier has LPG TO NAT conversion kits for their current furnace line.
    You didn't say what furnace. Multi stage or mod furnace require a valve change to LP.
    Single stage furnaces most generally used Honeywell valves and you can get a nat. spring from a Honeywell parts dist if need be.Many people would be of the mindset to sell a new furnace, but If the client wishes to get more time out of it they can. Rheem furnaces have been damn reliable since the went to the 34" tall model around 1990.

Post Likes
    By the way, just how long would a furnace last if we wern't listening to distributors telling us how we're doing the client a disservice by fixing a 15 yr old unit.

Post Likes
    Is there a low gas pressure cutout switch? If so you will have to bypass. if its a Honeywell gas valve just get a 3.5wc ng spring

Post Likes
    https ://www

Links to direct purchase sites are not permitted in the open forums.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-31-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast