Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Likes
    I was super smart until i came upon this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I don't want to build a boat either. I just want to make mine move through the water easier and leave a clean, laminar flow, wake. <g>

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Don't want to build another boat, I'm here so I can learn a better way to plug that hole in my boat.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    I think Wayne said 10 before and 5 after.

Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    With flow stations, I believe it is 8 to 10 pipe diameters of straight pipe on each side.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    this really smart guy I know once said something along these lines: It's like this, most of us aren't any smarter than each other, it's just that we're on different chapters in the same book....some guys have had the time or reason to read farther ahead than others. Once you catch up to the next guy, you'll know what he knows.

Post Likes
    That's true CHOPS but there is always another guy to catch up to.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    I have always used ten for both. But that may have been born out of mental/memory laziness.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I think Wayne said 10 before and 5 after.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    I specified the orifice flange type when there was space available. The venture meter only required 5 upstream and 2 downstream so I specified it if space was a problem. You can use less on the orifice flange type but the accuracies suffers.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    As I said earlier in this thread, I remembered some items preferred 10, and other applications could go as few as 5. And this one engineer who really knew what he was doing was explaining things to me. But there was no way I could remember all of the 'conditions'. So we just agreed that shoot for a minimum of 7-8, and that worked out very well through the years.

Which reminds me of a story, a job from last spring or summer. Show up on the job and there are already several of our trucks on site. I don't even have a clue what is going on. I get out of my truck and begin limping towards the crew. They ask what's wrong, I tell them, well, we're all parked in the handicapped parking, so I thought I should make it look good. Chuckles all around.

Anyway, we're supposed to rip out a 'boiler' in a kitchen and replace. Basically, it is just a hot water heater, used to make hot water for the kitchen use. I always have hated it when they call a hot water heater a boiler, but I digress. Large kitchen for a high end golf course.

We've pretty much got the whole thing demo'd when a top on site dog walks up and can tell I'm the lead on the job. He asks me when it will be on line, I tell him a couple of days. He gets very stoic. And says, the agreement was for this to be back on line tonight. I tell him that will never happen, this is a two day job.

A rather short time later my phone rings. My boss. He asks me what's going on? I tell him we're just working away. Now he asks why I told the head guy on site his boiler will not be on line tonight? I tell my boss dude, because that's the truth. Boss dude starts explaining to me the contract, I reply ain't gonna happen. It's going to take me 8 hrs just figure out how to plumb it and get the fittings on site.

Boss dude starts flipping out. I start by explaining, keep in mind, this is the first I've seen of the job, and you don't even have any fittings on site, next time, get me involved from the beginning. He explains it is a direct replacement. I explain, no, it isn't. Maybe the same manufacturer and the same BTU's, but plumbing is completely different, and they shipped some other things with the boiler that I'm sure need to be installed in order for the warranty to be valid.

Space EXTREMELY limited. A closet and a nightmare to get any proper pipe diameters.

In the meantime, the on site guy begins to call around. Gets his plumbing contractor for landscaping to stop in. Asks him if he can get the boiler on line today. Plumber looks at the job and says sure.

Now my boss is pissed. I told him that's the best thing that just happened to you, because otherwise, you would have lost a lot of money. Just credit eight hours and call it good.

I heard later that week it took that plumber two days to get it all together. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I have always used ten for both. But that may have been born out of mental/memory laziness.

PHM
    -------
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

9. Likes Lahrs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Good story BBeerme and somewhat familiar.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    I was super smart until i came upon this thread.
    I'm still trying to wear off the dumbass tatoo on my forehead
    haha reminds me of "on the internet, nobody knows you are a dog" cartoon.

Post Likes
    Yo gravity I been working centrifugal pumps and all kinds of fluid pumping systems and fluid dynamic and thermo transfer problems in aerospace for 40 years so I know some things but your skills in many areas are far beyond what I will ever be able to achieve in my lifetime.

Post Likes
    I would also like to know all that too.

Don't we all do thermodynamics?

Post Likes
    Yes all competent hvac techs are actually thermodynamic heat transfer technical experts with specialized knowledge in two phase flow and AC and DC electronics, digital control systems, metallurgy, and advanced mechanical assembly techniques. But all that takes up too much room in the job description so it is abbreviated by the term "Grunt".

15. Likes Lahrs liked this post.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234