Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Duct Noise - What Can I Do?

Hi,

I have an oil canning/pinging noise coming from one end of my duct work. The noise is under the master bedroom and I can it hear it all night and I'm actually losing sleep because of the noise.

Is there any solutions to fix this? Does it have to do with the duct hanger?

I was thinking of getting some metal strapping, press in the duct work and screw in strap to brace it. Then insulate the duct around this area.

Post Likes
    Here is the sound.

https: //youtu.be/MLBb55TOqBo

Post Likes
    New construction, Old Construction? Are the ducts accessible?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    New construction, Old Construction? Are the ducts accessible?
    Old construction. House built in 2000. Ducts are accessible, unfinished basement.

Post Likes
    That sounds like expansion noises. More than likely some part of the metal is rubbing up against wood as it heats and cools (grows and shrinks) and making the noise as it slides past a certain point.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    That sounds like expansion noises. More than likely some part of the metal is rubbing up against wood as it heats and cools (grows and shrinks) and making the noise as it slides past a certain point.
    Thanks for reply. There isn't any metal touching wood. The duct work is hanging about an inch lower than the floor joist.

Post Likes
    I agree, not oil canning.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    What is the best method to fix it? Insulation?

I've added two photos (not sure why they rotated when I uploaded it).
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    Any suggestions?

Post Likes
    Anything to stop the noise?

Post Likes
    Until you identify where exactly the noise is coming from there is no way to know how to stop it. Each type of problem requires it's own kind of solution. Spend the time and locate the reason/location/material like I would have to if called to your home.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Until you identify where exactly the noise is coming from there is no way to know how to stop it. Each type of problem requires it's own kind of solution. Spend the time and locate the reason/location/material like I would have to if called to your home.
    I found the location. If I press on the duct hanger, it stops. I guess I will try adding a screw.

https://youtu.be/MLBb55TOqBo

Post Likes
    or loosen the screw or give it (the duct) a sharp kick/bump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast