Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Venting a steam condensate return pump

Looking for the proper way to vent a condensate pump tank indoors. I believe the book assumes you will always vent to outdoors. I have seen many ways guys have decided to do this most I believe are incorrect. I have seen a gooseneck that goes up a few feet then down to the floor. I've seen them trapped above the tank and below the tank. I've seen combination of 1 gooseneck on the vent and a trap on the overflow....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Were there any piping instructions with the pump? Usually would be. Follow those and you are right......by those standards. AHJ has the final say, no matter how conflicting to those instructions.

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    i would not vent to the outdoors in Wisconsin, id worry it could frost over.

this is what sterlco says

https://www.sterlcosteam.com/wp-cont...umps-final.pdf
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Post Likes
    Here is the original tanks vent/overflow and its trapped.

Post Likes
    Up ,then over ,then down close to floor. Like a upside down u.

Do not p-trap it.

That vent is the air vent for the system, if trapped, the air cant get out.

Someone put those p traps in because the receivers were venting steam.

The venting steam is due to bad steam traps out the system.

Post Likes
    I freely admit that I do not know everything. But I cannot see why the vent would be trapped. Any vented pressure would push the trapped water out onto the floor and any vacuum from collapsing the steam field would suck the trapped water back into tank. I think the tank would be best at atmospheric pressure - without the trap. Vented straight up a good ways so that any condensed water from the venting steam would run back into the tank.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    Here is the original tanks vent/overflow and its trapped.

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    First, never, ever, ever install a steam trap on condensate return tank of the design in the picture.

That tank is not rated for steam pressure.

If steam is getting into the return tank, find out why. Usually a busted steam trap or missing steam trap elsewhere is to blame.

Next, you can vent to the outdoors, but just like a plumbing vent, the termination should be not less then 3 pipe diameter at that point. The biggest issue is that if there are blown steam traps in the building you will not notice all the steam exiting the vent right away.

Typically outdoor venting is not necessary, unless your dealing with high pressure steam and the resulting water vapor that will vent from the tank is objectionable.

Generally when I pipe the tank vents, I run them up near the ceiling or as high as reasonable to get above the operating level in the boiler, then 90 over run a bit, install a Tee that has the bull pointing up, then run a bit more, and 90 back toward the floor to a drain ideally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Also , I would try to convince the facility to fix the steam traps , or the new pump will die from the same thing the old one did.

Cavitation, from pumping too hot of condensate .

Post Likes
    As stated above the cond pump is usually the only means of venting the entire steam system.
    Any restriction such as this P-trap will impede the air removal.
    Just a vent pipe run straight up would be a solution.
    Any noticeable amounts of steam exiting there is a trap failure problem in the system.

Post Likes
    Thanks all. Fun little job. Original discharge shutoffs and check valves have failed. Used the freeze machine on the condensate discharge pipe. New valves installed, new unit is running. Need to finish the vent and clean up my mess

Post Likes

Post Likes
    I have installed quite a few low pressure condensate receivers and I run the vent as high as possible and turned it 120 degrees back down few inches from the floor, the idea is to build a column for water vapor to condense and drip back into the tank.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    I have installed quite a few low pressure condensate receivers and I run the vent as high as possible and turned it 120 degrees back down few inches from the floor, the idea is to build a column for water vapor to condense and drip back into the tank.
    That's what I normally see. Seen a intresting one yesterday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast