+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Generac

Post Likes

Generac

Our first 3 installs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    "This Story Is True, Only The Facts Were Changed"

"It's Not Black vs White, Left vs Right, Mask vs No Mask! Its Us vs Them! Stop Letting Them Divide Us And Take Our Control!"

"Is This Your Opinion Or Experience?"

Post Likes
    One more pic

"It's Not Black vs White, Left vs Right, Mask vs No Mask! Its Us vs Them! Stop Letting Them Divide Us And Take Our Control!"

Post Likes
    Looking good. A few down, a million to go.
    Is the first one just sitting on the dirt?
    My personal recommendation is to get them up higher. For one, easier to work on the controls on your knees rather than laying down. Also, the exhaust side scorches the grass. Although in your area probably not a problem with rain or snow.
    Is the last gas connection to the gen have a little flex it or all hard pipe? Thought you would need a little flex in Cali for movement.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

Post Likes
    Daddy needs a new hydraulic conduit bender for Christmas.

Nice work though as usual.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

5. Likes jacob-k liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    Looking good. A few down, a million to go.
    Is the first one just sitting on the dirt?
    My personal recommendation is to get them up higher. For one, easier to work on the controls on your knees rather than laying down. Also, the exhaust side scorches the grass. Although in your area probably not a problem with rain or snow.
    Is the last gas connection to the gen have a little flex it or all hard pipe? Thought you would need a little flex in Cali for movement.
    1st pic there is my house. Theres a pad under it but I dont like the look of the pad so I had the guys push dirt up to it and bury it a little.

Generac sends a silver "flex line" with each unit. It's right at 18" which is minimum allowable distance from wall on back side of Gen. The "flex line cant be bent though. That all have it as per code. Yes vibration damper/earth quake....

Thanks for the words

Post Likes
    You didn't put sediment traps on your gas lines.

Also, that first one looks like it has black steel pipe going into the ground? Are there threaded elbows that are burred also? I could be wrong, I don't have time to dig into the codes right now, but I'm pretty sure that's not cool.

Also, if that is gas supply is 2psi, you will most likely need a gas regulator.

I pretty much don't like any of your gas piping. If I was there I'd redo most of it.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    You didn't put sediment traps on your gas lines.

Also, that first one looks like it has black steel pipe going into the ground? Are there threaded elbows that are burred also? I could be wrong, I don't have time to dig into the codes right now, but I'm pretty sure that's not cool.

Also, if that is gas supply is 2psi, you will most likely need a gas regulator.

I pretty much don't like any of your gas piping. If I was there I'd redo most of it.
    Awesome. Yeah appartlently you dont know sh*t about generac. They come with sediment traps inside the units...

And the Propane company ran the gas lines!

they dont run ANYTHING in 2psi here! Its either single stage 10wc or two stage 10psi to 10wc.....But if you knew anything about gas line sizes youd know that a 1 1/4" sure the f*ck wouldnt be required with 2 or 10psi 2 stage!...

Go troll someone else

Post Likes
    I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings.

I've never heard of a propane company running pipes for natural gas, but either way there are things I dont like about that piping.

A small thing is that I would have put the supports closer to the elbows and would have used more of them, and I still don't think it's allowed to have threaded fittings burried in the dirt (if that's what's going on).

I realize the pipe is wrapped going into the ground, and I admit that I haven't looked up the codes that pertain to this, so please go correct me if I'm wrong and if this is indeed allowed.

We're all here to learn stuff.

Post Likes
    My nat gas 25kw Kohler was installed with plastic pipe, mega press fittings, wrapped and tracer wire. 1 1/4" pipe due to the length of pipe. Upsized regulator to get proper flow to gen plus all the indoor appliances. All to code.
    Don't know if threaded fittings are allowed underground per code. Didn't have to cross that bridge. But there has to be threaded fittings on the gas service from street to meter.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    But there has to be threaded fittings on the gas service from street to meter.
    I would think that most stuff like this would be welded, but I guess I don't know for sure. I did just do some quick research on the subject, and I could not find anything specifically prohibiting buried threaded fittings.

I guess I learned something and everything's OK with jacob-k's install. Sorry I blew up earlier.

If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings.

I've never heard of a propane company running pipes for natural gas, but either way there are things I dont like about that piping.

A small thing is that I would have put the supports closer to the elbows and would have used more of them, and I still don't think it's allowed to have threaded fittings burried in the dirt (if that's what's going on).

I realize the pipe is wrapped going into the ground, and I admit that I haven't looked up the codes that pertain to this, so please go correct me if I'm wrong and if this is indeed allowed.

We're all here to learn stuff.

I realize your code may be different, but threaded fittings aren't allowed up here. Also, metal piping needs cathodic protection and a minimum separation from other pipes/conduits. See pics for clarification.

Also agree with supporting pipe work at fittings.

Jacob, always enjoy seeing your work. Commenting constructively. Cheers.
    Last edited by Lahrs; 12-18-2019 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Add quoted section

Post Likes
    90s are factory bent. No issue with that are we in Maine?

Post Likes
    Found a house with old fashioned yellow tracpipe buried in the ground... told the HO they needed to get that looked at...

They had a plumber come out... turned out it was leaking behind the yard tool shed... and the tool shed (never used) was full of gas...

Gas is dangerous stuff... right up there with electricity...
    Best to be careful with it!

In the state of GA... when a Generac is installed...
    The gas line must be done by a licensed plumber...
    The elec connections must be done by a licensed electrician.

(We looked into doing Generacs many years ago... )
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    is who in maine ?

Post Likes
    do you live in a normal house or one of those trac homes and what are all those white boxes on your out side walls?

Post Likes
    Trac homes come in all price ranges...

I am curious about the white boxes also...
    What are those???
    Do not recognize them.

THX
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Nit pick time.
    Picture 1, the LFNC-B is not strapped within 12" of the termination. Also, LFNC needs a listed fitting, can't be glued into a PVC LB.
    Pictures 2 and 3 look good!
    Picture 4, same issues with picture 1 in addition the LFNC must be strapped every 3'
    Picture 5, 110.26, spaces about electrical equipment. Specifically the 3' clearance required in front of the electrical meter and transfer switch.
    Picture 6, same issues with 1 and 4

Normally I wouldn't post, but picture 5 made me wonder how in the f did that pass inspection?

19. Likes jacob-k liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Looks decent.

Gas pipe and fittings should be painted.

More hangers on gas pipe.

Hangers on conduit not equally spaced.

I would have used EMT instead of pvc. The pvc likes to come unglued.

If I do use pvc, i bend all my fittings by warming up the pipe. Same with EMT, i bend all pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Likes jacob-k liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Very interesting!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in