Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    You seem to be
    Quote Originally Posted by ChootarLaal View Post
    avoiding the issue all together instead of finding a solution or mitigate the issue.
    The issue is that the NEST is a POS. We state that from experience.

Post Likes
    Or to put it another way, non technical HVAC way...

Every time I hit my hand with a hammer it hurts.
    I want to keep hitting my hand with the hammer.
    But I don't want it to hurt.
    So you're telling me rather than find a way for me to hit my hand with a hammer and not have it hurt, you would recommend I don't hit my hand with the hammer?
    Crazy....
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    You seem to be

The issue is that the NEST is a POS. We state that from experience.

Your response doesn't help or add any info to the issue at hand, other than bad mouth a vendor. They must be doing SOMETHING right if they're the highest selling smart tstat on the market.

Post Likes
    Your response doesn't help or add any info to the issue at hand, other than bad mouth a vendor. They must be doing SOMETHING right if they're the highest selling smart tstat on the market.
    and people like home warranty companies also.

A few dollars in relays and a few hours labor and I can make it work or just buy a better stat.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply. Your advice is to avoid the issue all together instead of finding a solution or mitigate the issue.

Since there is no dedicated power source (C-wire) and the Nest uses the 2-wire (R,W) connection to charge its battery, the appropriate solution, one would think, WOULD be to add a 24v transformer which would act as a dedicated power source for the Nest. This is an easier alternative for my particular case since running a C-wire would require more work. And would this newly added additional 2-wire connection be connected to C and Rc on the Nest?

I am simply trying to confirm this would work. I hope someone who has done the same could chime in.
    this is a problem that should not exist to begin with, we in hvac industry have told nest for about a decade that power stealing does not work on new equipment. It is not a clever solution developed by nest, but an obselete function from pre 80s machines.

A separate power supply is not issue, it is how power stealing tstats work. current leakage through the tstat would not affect a relay that used 10-100 times the power the tstat was leaking through circuit. new equipment does not operate a relay directly from tsta, but through a control bd. the tiny current leakage can be perceived as an actuall call to run (by the board), so the equipment malfunctions.

any power stealing tstat can do this on newer equipment, that is why hvac industry moved away from them years ago.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    If something sells a lot it must be the best. Lol.

I know a lot of top selling pop albums over the years that are complete garbage. The good music gets overlooked. He sounds like a millennial. Popular doesn’t mean good. Why don’t people get this?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    this is a problem that should not exist to begin with, we in hvac industry have told nest for about a decade that power stealing does not work on new equipment. It is not a clever solution developed by nest, but an obselete function from pre 80s machines.

A separate power supply is not issue, it is how power stealing tstats work. current leakage through the tstat would not affect a relay that used 10-100 times the power the tstat was leaking through circuit. new equipment does not operate a relay directly from tsta, but through a control bd. the tiny current leakage can be perceived as an actuall call to run (by the board), so the equipment malfunctions.

any power stealing tstat can do this on newer equipment, that is why hvac industry moved away from them years ago.

but my point is, once you add a dedicated 24v transformer, the current leakage is eliminated.
    so this would be the mitigation aka solution to said problem/issue at hand.

Post Likes
    but my point is, once you add a dedicated 24v transformer, the current leakage is eliminated.
    so this would be the mitigation aka solution to said problem/issue at hand.
    Your not a controls tech and you don’t have a clue what your doing.

NEST is POO
    Last edited by pecmsg; 12-19-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Post Likes
    Your not a controls the nation and you don’t have a clue what your doing.

NEST is POO
    Goodness gracious. I dont even know where to begin with that post.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    If something sells a lot it must be the best. Lol.

I know a lot of top selling pop albums over the years that are complete garbage. The good music gets overlooked. He sounds like a millennial. Popular doesn’t mean good. Why don’t people get this?

There is a serious difference between a pop album and piece of high tech equipment. All of you naysayers are avoiding the issue at hand and focused on ignoring the issue and mitigation all together by stating to "stay away from it" rather than to actually FIX the issue.

I ran a dedicated 24v transformer and wired it to the C and Rh. The Nest now gets a constant 24v via a good quality power source and the issue is resolved. It is no longer a "power stealing" unit, the battery doesn't need to charge via the original connection. Thanks to NO ONE on this forum. Clowns.

Post Likes
    There is a serious difference between a pop album and piece of high tech equipment. All of you naysayers are avoiding the issue at hand and focused on ignoring the issue and mitigation all together by stating to "stay away from it" rather than to actually FIX the issue.

I ran a dedicated 24v transformer and wired it to the C and Rh. The Nest now gets a constant 24v via a good quality power source and the issue is resolved. It is no longer a "power stealing" unit, the battery doesn't need to charge via the original connection. Thanks to NO ONE on this forum. Clowns.
    Yep. Just a bunch of clowns. Uh huh. There are a hundred other stats that don’t need the extra transformer you had to wire up. Nest is a joke.

Post Likes
    If you say so. You’ll be back.

Post Likes
    If you say so. You’ll be back.
    I would hope he’d be too ashamed to admit it when it screws up again. After all, we’re only a bunch of clowns, each with 30+ years experience. But of course he knows better.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast