+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infinite switch Crown Verity Steam table

Post Likes

Infinite switch Crown Verity Steam table

This is a 208 v, hot dog steam well with ambient exposed element which sits underneath a stainless steel pan filled with water to steam the hot dogs, controlled by infinite switches.

I replaced a 240v, 15 amp(3750 watts) infinite switch with one I had in the truck that is 208v, 13 amp, putting the wattage at 2704. The element wattage is 1750(see pic). The element only pulls about 8 amps.

I do know that the switch has to be capable of handling the wattage in order for the bimetal to stay closed longer and get to the proper temperature.

I turned the new switch to the highest regulated position at 7 on the dial and it shuts off the indicator light in 30 seconds. This new switch is only working on high setting which is continuously passing voltage to the element.

What am I doing wrong here?

1st pic: old switch
    2nd pic: new switch
    3rd pic: element

Name:  250v.PNG
Views: 597
Size:  324.8 KBName:  208.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  41.2 KBName:  element.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  43.7 KB

2. Likes Tommy Brackett liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Are you saying at the number 1 position you're not pulling amps ?

Post Likes
    At number 1, no amps, it starts to come on at about number 4, but cuts out in a couple seconds and takes a very long time to come back on. So I set it to 7 and it does the same thing. I am thinking it has something to do with the lower voltage and amp rating even though it seems like I got the wattage covered

Post Likes
    Was the old switch the factory original ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    yes it was. But that switch is so unreliable. I have probably changed that switch 2 times in the past year, so I decided not to order that exact switch again and possibly order a different one with similar ratings, but it was an emergency so i put what I had in.

Post Likes
    The specs say unit is 240 but its getting only 208v. Thats how its always been

Post Likes
    Which switch did you replace left / right or middle ?

Post Likes
    Left switch, the larger element rated 1750 watts

Post Likes
    But even at 208 volts it's still only 10.09 amps.

Post Likes
    First, I suggest using OEM parts when repairing appliances. Second, OHMs Law is your friend.
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SandShark View Post
    First, I suggest using OEM parts when repairing appliances. Second, OHMs Law is your friend.

as you see in this thread, both vtp99 and I have been using ohms law but its not yielding answers we need. it does not make sense why a 13 amp switch cannot stay closed long enough on any cycle setting when the heater is only pulling a max of 10 amps.

perhaps these switches need to be rated much higher to control smaller loads( original switch was 15 amps 240 v much higher wattage)

Post Likes
    It will be interesting to see if it changes using the higher voltage.
    Even if it's not the original OEM.

Post Likes
    Doesn't the infinite switch have an internal bi-metal switch in series with the heating element that breaks the connection to the heating element? In the OEM infinite switch, isn't that bi-metal switch rated for 240V? Think about it.

Post Likes
    Doesn't the infinite switch have an internal bi-metal switch in series with the heating element that breaks the connection to the heating element? In the OEM infinite switch, isn't that bi-metal switch rated for 240V? Think about it.
    True the original switch is rated for 240 volts but .... isn't it the amperage that activates the bi-metal switch ?
    Please explain.
    I think the manufacturer uses the higher voltage to cover the end users possible lesser service ie. 208 volt Y Delta vs 240 volt Delta.
    They surely wouldn't want it the other way around.

Post Likes
    I mistakenly posted that the bi-metal switch is in series with the heating element, though I have seen diagrams that show this to be true. However, Robert Shaw does it differently. Their bi-metal switch has a resistance wire wrapped around it which is connected in parallel with the heating element being controlled and is cycled in unison with the heating element. Nevertheless, the resistance of the bi-metal is designed for 240V, not 208V. That's why there are 208V infinite controls and 240V infinite controls, but there are no 208-240V infinite controls, at least to my knowledge there aren't.

So, the bottom line is you've got an appliance with heating elements rated for 240V that's running on 208V, which is not a big deal, but you've got an OEM control specifically rated for 240V running on 208V and you're using non-OEM replacement parts.

Post Likes
    Thanks SandShark
    I found this to be of interest seeing how you brought it up

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Thanks SandShark
    I found this to be of interest seeing how you brought it up
    Yeah, I did use that to help explain. BTW, whatever happened to Ectofix (Earl)? He could probably explain things a lot better than I did.

Post Likes
    Yeah, I did use that to help explain. BTW, whatever happened to Ectofix (Earl)? He could probably explain things a lot better than I did.
    He pops in now and then and he is a Guru when it comes to electrical appliances.
    Personally I try to avoid the hot side because it comes with all its specialties.
    That said I still do it to keep the competition out of my customers door.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    He pops in now and then and he is a Guru when it comes to electrical appliances.
    Personally I try to avoid the hot side because it comes with all its specialties.
    That said I still do it to keep the competition out of my customers door.
    He’s definitely a Guru. I’m trying to convince my buddy, who owns an HVAC/R company, to branch out into the hot side. He has a lot of restaurant customers. I did HVAC/R for decades before I got into the hot side. I wish I had started on the hot side. No attics!

Post Likes
    Oh, for what it's worth, Hello Cowgirl in the Sand 4-way Street (live) one of my favorites

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in