Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Help with lennox auto heat not working

Ive been rather disappointed with a hvac company that came to look at my unit and not determining what is wrong.

Lennox model G12RQ3E-82-8

My fan will run in “on” position just fine. However, when placing fan in auto and placing on heat, the furnace will light off fine, heats the air chamber, i hear a faint tick when low speed used to activate fan, fan never activates, then high temp limit shuts it all down. The hvac guy did not test anything and was sure the combo limit switch was faulty so i had him order one. He replaced it but the problem persists. Any ideas? I told him that didnt fix it but no response.

Post Likes
    Your "guy" has no clue!!!!!!!!!

Find a competent tech to get this, most likely easy diagnosis and fix, working.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Just curious, how old is your unit as I have not seen a G12 in 10 to 15 years. I am going to bet it is 25 years minimum. The Lennox dura-curve heat exchanger was a good heat exchanger but usually do not last this long. Are sure it is not cracked or compromised?

Post Likes
    Im not sure when it was put in place. It works just fine besides having to clean the flame sensor off and this recent thing about not being able to turn the low speed fan on. I did read that besides the comb limit switch, the blower fan relay is a big culprit. Idk how to check the thing that you wonder is cracked. This is an electrical problem. The fan works great when you turn it on manually. Thats how i get heat now. I place it on heat and turn the fan from auto to fan. The burner will light off when needed

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsc45shooter View Post
    Im not sure when it was put in place. It works just fine besides having to clean the flame sensor off and this recent thing about not being able to turn the low speed fan on. I did read that besides the comb limit switch, the blower fan relay is a big culprit. Idk how to check the thing that you wonder is cracked. This is an electrical problem. The fan works great when you turn it on manually. Thats how i get heat now. I place it on heat and turn the fan from auto to fan. The burner will light off when needed
    YOU shouldn't be "Checking" anything. Get your service provider to troubleshoot and advise!

Post Likes
    the manufactured date is in the serial number. Since you have the model number I assumed you had the serial number.

Post Likes
    You need a technician. You have had a parts changer, most likely your next person will be a sales tech. It may take a few of each of those before you find an actual tech. Don't be surprised if he/the company is not higher priced. Good techs are in high demand and are hard to find. When you find one they will be worth it, they will actually fix your system not just get it running, a difference between short and long term between the next break down.

Post Likes
    Was "your guy" really you?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Post Likes
    Call a different company.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    No it wasnt me. However I could have done what he did after watching him. It doesnt look like rocket science so figured i would see if this is a common problem after posting symptoms. Kinda sounds like the capacitor maybe. And if it is a $ capacitor, im going to be very mad after he charged me $ for a combo limit switch
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-15-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Post Likes
    No it wasnt me. However I could have done what he did after watching him. It doesnt look like rocket science so figured i would see if this is a common problem after posting symptoms. Kinda sounds like the capacitor maybe. And if it is a $ capacitor, im going to be very mad after he charged me $ for a combo limit switch
    You should be mad, that obviously was not the cause!!!!!!! Did it need to be replaced since it is a safety, NOT an operational limit, I would suggest it.

As for the real problem, keep guessing and you'll finally get it.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-19-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Post Likes
    It was a capacitor after all. $
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-19-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Post Likes
    A capacitor won’t cause what you described in the original post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast