Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Trane Precend - Compressor Control Question

Hi all,

We have a Trane Precedent (YHC092) roof top unit that we're taking control of the compressor staging via the RTRM board thermostat terminals. We have our wires landed on the Y1 (Compressor 1) and Y2 (Compressor 2). When we send a signal to start compressor 1 it does not start. The only time a compressor starts is if we try to start compressors 1 & 2 at the same time, then compressor 2 will start. We have double checked our wiring and everything is good there. We have disconnected the Economizer Module because we have taken control of the Economizer with our controls, so i don't believe the Economizer to be interfering. Is there some internal logic that is limiting us from turning on compressor 1?

Thanks for the help,
    qv

Post Likes
    Are you sure that #1 compressor is capable of operating?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mathieule1 View Post
    When we send a signal to start compressor 1 it does not start.
    What is your "signal" are you sending ?

Post Likes
    I don't know Trane but some manufacturers turn part of the safeties on with the first device. If this is the case and something is switch so you are turning on Y2 instead of Y1 then that might be the cause.

They could also use a Stat to disable Y1 when the outside temp is below a value to use the economizer to try free cooling first, then enable Y1 when Y2 is turned on because free cooling didn't work. This would happen even when the economizer is controlled in a different way. I don't know if this is the case.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    What is your "signal" are you sending ?
    24v

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Benkovitz View Post
    I don't know Trane but some manufacturers turn part of the safeties on with the first device. If this is the case and something is switch so you are turning on Y2 instead of Y1 then that might be the cause.

They could also use a Stat to disable Y1 when the outside temp is below a value to use the economizer to try free cooling first, then enable Y1 when Y2 is turned on because free cooling didn't work. This would happen even when the economizer is controlled in a different way. I don't know if this is the case.
    We tried to enable Y2 first as well and did not get the corresponding compressor to turn on.

Interesting, i thought if you remove the ECA then the unit does not believe it has economizer capabilities and therefore does not use economizer logic. i'm not 100% on that though.

Post Likes
    We tried to enable Y2 first as well and did not get the corresponding compressor to turn on.

Interesting, i thought if you remove the ECA then the unit does not believe it has economizer capabilities and therefore does not use economizer logic. i'm not 100% on that though.
    I don't know Trane so you may be correct. You could re-enable the ECA to see if that fixes it.

I would go through the schematic to find out what else could be stopping Y1 from engaging the compressor. What you describe shouldn't be happening.

Post Likes
    24v
    So your using some type of remotely operated switching relay ?

Post Likes
    Did you cycle power off and back on after disconnecting the ECU? Otherwise it will still be looking for the module. The earlier years required a seperate tstat conversion board. I have had issue with the conversion board before. Are you getting 24v out of the RTRM plug? Need more info please

Post Likes
    Most units have a jumper installed when the economizer is not installed. If you removed the economizer plug and didn't install the jumper, this could effect the compressor operation.
    The wiring schematics would show this, if it applies to this rtu

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Trane does not use jumpers. It uses modbus between the controllers to determine what is installed. Does the unit have RTOM board? Is so try disconnecting that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    So your using some type of remotely operated switching relay ?
    Yes that is correct. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ChillerTech3384 View Post
    Did you cycle power off and back on after disconnecting the ECU? Otherwise it will still be looking for the module. The earlier years required a seperate tstat conversion board. I have had issue with the conversion board before. Are you getting 24v out of the RTRM plug? Need more info please
    Yes, we power cycled the unit because the supply fan was able to run. The tstat conversion board, I'll have to look into that, but in any case our unit is from 2014. Yes, we are getting 24v out of the RTRM plug. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by chander View Post
    Most units have a jumper installed when the economizer is not installed. If you removed the economizer plug and didn't install the jumper, this could effect the compressor operation.
    The wiring schematics would show this, if it applies to this rtu
    Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk
    We did not jumper anything out. We only unplugged the J2 plug from the RTRM. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by hvac69 View Post
    Trane does not use jumpers. It uses modbus between the controllers to determine what is installed. Does the unit have RTOM board? Is so try disconnecting that.
    If we unplug the RTOM board, would we lose a lot of other functionality? There are a number of different plugs going into the RTOM. Also, our client does not have BACnet capabilities (yet). Thank you

Post Likes
    There is 2 brass jumpers across the terminal block that are used to disable compressor stages. Make sure they are in place and that the wires are connected behind the terminal strip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast