Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BillDX View Post
    Resistance to change is a symptom.

The underlying biological phenomena is explained here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_...d_intelligence
    A symptom of what?

I don't see the relationship to a resistance to change. Would you clarify it for me? Thank you in advance.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    Sometimes new tech is more of a burden than it's worth.

I bought some stamps at the post office a few days ago. At the end
    of the transaction I realized I had two dimes and a nickel in my pocket,
    so I asked the man for a quarter in exchange. But he had just closed
    the drawer, so he had to do about a 25-stroke sequence to get it to
    open up again. I said "That's OK; don't worry about it." He said "No, no,
    I've just about got it," and then opened the drawer and handed me a
    quarter.

I said "Isn't technology wonderful?"
    He smiled and said "You took the words out of my mouth."
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    Old guys and im old over 40 years in this trade main problem you've been beat down by boss and customers and most are tired and used up. If you don't go to classes every winter like to read manuals and have a younger person to help with computers its a two way street. Companies that don't want to spend money for education and tools will be the big losers. Techs that understand ems systems can write their own ticket.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    I don't like change. I actually liked it when I could work on my car. I liked it when furnaces were simple and lasted 60 years.
    I don't like how humans complicate everything with fancy technology that is engineered to be obsolete in a few years. I don't like how society is crippled when their wifi goes down. I don't like the fact that often it is cheaper to throw away a product and buy a new one, than it is to repair it.

This is why I don't like change.

Cars of today are better than they were when you seem to be talking about them. They are safer last longer and are more efficient.

If something is cheaper to replace than fix it does it mean that production costs are too low? How can that be a bad thing? Or are wages to technicians too high? It seems to me it would have to be a combination of the two right?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Many studies show that older people are resistant to change. So are they and other groups that are resistant to change lazy, at least for the most part? I don't know how you get around that if you say "for the most part" those resistant are lazy.
    I am alluding to the fact that "comfort" leads to "why do I have to go to a class,or study" when I can get by just fine the way I am, when I am happier watching "Wheel of Fortune" than having to learn something new.

I am not talking about having to learning a Steam system when all you do is Refrig work. I am talking about having to learn about EEVs when a regular TXV is all you knew,that is the Laziness I am talking about.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    I am talking about having to learn about EEVs when a regular TXV is all you knew,that is the Laziness I am talking about.
    When the tam7-8 came out. There was an older tech I worked with. He always condemned the EEV. Said they were bad. I would get the part and go replace them. Was never the EEV, always the ET/GT sensors. I would try to explain to him how they work and are tied together. Would always get defensive and say well I have 25 years experience I know a bad valve when I see one.

Post Likes
    Cars of today are better than they were when you seem to be talking about them. They are safer last longer and are more efficient.
    I would say the opposite.

Can't work on one without a computer.
    Can't get in to change parts without dropping the drivetrain on many.
    Computer failure is a major repair and can't use the car without a computer.
    All the emissions crap.

Are newer cars more convenient and full of luxury items, yes. does that make them any better, hell no!!!!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    I would say the opposite.

Can't work on one without a computer.
    Can't get in to change parts without dropping the drivetrain on many.
    Computer failure is a major repair and can't use the car without a computer.
    All the emissions crap.

Are newer cars more convenient and full of luxury items, yes. does that make them any better, hell no!!!!!
    They last longer, they are safer and are much more fuel efficient. OBD2 scanners with 100's of functions are as low as $20.00. If you own a Ford you can have basically a dealer equivalent for that same price. ECM failures are few and far between. If it does fail get one from a junk yard for $50 or get a new one with a lifetime warranty programmed with keys for app $200.
    Emission standards are not crap if you care about the future.

Post Likes

Pacnw

Computers have made life and the job easier. Have a unit tripping out log it. Gives you time and sensor readings. Ems systems plug and play. Need a wiring diagram or manual just pull it up. Oh for the days of beepers that just beeped and had to find a pay phone. Glass thermometer, analog meters, belt drive vacuum pumps and refrigerant scales that were a big plastic tube. Cars used to last maybe 50k miles, how bout chokes on carburetors and manual windows and door locks. And i sorry i get payed by the hour so i don't care how long the job takes I'm getting mine. So throw all your battery tools away there just to complicated.

Post Likes
    Older people in general do not like change. The longer one is used to the old ways of doing things, the longer it takes a person to learn new ways of doing things.
    I think there are other subsets of people that would also fit the description of not wanting change.
    Change is good and inevitable.
    Don't include me in this as I have allways viewd the new technology in hvac as a profit maker. I will admit my smartphone skills are way behind.

Post Likes
    I am one of the older guys. (64). I love technology and for the most part change. One of the things I don't like is the failure rate on ECM motors. Unless you want to get very precise the smart phone has made the creation of a lot of meters that would otherwise be expensive. With all of the learning of new technology my mind gets it's daily exercise.

Post Likes
    This topic reminds me of 20+ years ago I was invited to take a factory tour with other dealers. This was back in the mid 90's when electronic thermostats were becoming more mainstream. As any time you get a bunch of dealers/techs together the discussion normally turns to what you like/don't like. There was this one guy 5-10 years older than me. He would not put in anything other than a Honeywell T87F which by default also meant he would not put in anything other than a gas furnace and A/C. To the best of my knowledge he never did change.

And some of you think we are bad about not wanting change.

Post Likes
    This topic reminds me of 20+ years ago I was invited to take a factory tour with other dealers. This was back in the mid 90's when electronic thermostats were becoming more mainstream. As any time you get a bunch of dealers/techs together the discussion normally turns to what you like/don't like. There was this one guy 5-10 years older than me. He would not put in anything other than a Honeywell T87F which by default also meant he would not put in anything other than a gas furnace and A/C. To the best of my knowledge he never did change.

And some of you think we are bad about not wanting change.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast