Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 86
  1. #14
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    25,340
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    I don't like change. I actually liked it when I could work on my car. I liked it when furnaces were simple and lasted 60 years.
    I don't like how humans complicate everything with fancy technology that is engineered to be obsolete in a few years. I don't like how society is crippled when their wifi goes down. I don't like the fact that often it is cheaper to throw away a product and buy a new one, than it is to repair it.

    This is why I don't like change.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

    I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

    Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    steeler nation
    Posts
    2,364
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    In supply house, counter guy was telling an older man (60's ish) about the comfortbridge app that goodman now has to setup their new higher end stuff (does goodman and high end go together?) Dude starts on a tear about how for the last 100 years heating and cooling never changed, and now in 5 years everyhting is changing and it dumb. he is glad he is done in the next few years.

    Why such resistance to new technology and change. Yes I agree not all new technology is great, or it needs field trials for improvement. But to just get angry about the stuff seams childish to me. I was thinking to myself Im glad there is change, so that I can be one to learn the new changes and be one that can actually fix it.

    Anyone here willing to admit they dont like change? Anyone else seeing this attitude?
    I'm not sure how old you are so this might not apply, but, I remember being a young guy and thinking "what is wrong with these old dudes I work with". Now I am an old dude and the kids probably think that about me.

    i have learned hundreds of new technologies and seen many changes. I'm tired of learning new things. Not lazy but just sick of the over complication of what should be simple machines.
    IV IV IX

    use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry


    We have freedom because somebody fought for it.
    We keep it because we are willing to fight for it.
    We lose it because we are not willing to fight for it.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    25,621
    Post Likes
    Do I see a reason to use a Carel control over a CCI , NO. When the Carel fails its getting a CCI.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    32,046
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    In supply house, counter guy was telling an older man (60's ish) about the comfortbridge app that goodman now has to setup their new higher end stuff (does goodman and high end go together?) Dude starts on a tear about how for the last 100 years heating and cooling never changed, and now in 5 years everyhting is changing and it dumb. he is glad he is done in the next few years.

    Why such resistance to new technology and change. Yes I agree not all new technology is great, or it needs field trials for improvement. But to just get angry about the stuff seams childish to me. I was thinking to myself Im glad there is change, so that I can be one to learn the new changes and be one that can actually fix it.

    Anyone here willing to admit they dont like change? Anyone else seeing this attitude?
    Many people are smart enough and have enough life experience to know that not all change is what it is cracked up to be. Some change is not good, some is just a new way to sell a widget, and some change is unnecessary.

    These people will not be resistant to change because they are Luddites. They will resist change because it is likely to fall into one of those three categories, and is not something that should be blindly accepted.

    Social media is a good example of bad change. It is not sociable, but more often, sociopathic. But hey..... hundreds of suicides and mass killings are a small price to pay for Zuckerberg's success.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist
    Member, IAEI

    AOP Forum Rules:







  5. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    5,385
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    For the most part,the "resistance to learn",I think ,it comes under the heading of "laziness".

    Back in 72' or so there was an "oil embargo" which lead to the beginning of higher efficiency units and equipment changing. Back in the mid 70's or so there was an economy slowdown and NASA let a bunch of Engineers go. They drifted into the HVAC trade and they brought their "electronics/circuit boards" with them,and it has led to a constant change. That change is a good thing. I enjoy the challenge,and it is a challenge.
    Many studies show that older people are resistant to change. So are they and other groups that are resistant to change lazy, at least for the most part? I don't know how you get around that if you say "for the most part" those resistant are lazy.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Vero Beach, Florida
    Posts
    497
    Post Likes
    I would beg to differ on your post. Not just older people that are resistant to change. Where I work. The owners are in their 40s and 90% of the service techs, to include myself, are in our 30s. Out of the 9 service techs we have, me and two more are willing to learn and accept the changes in our industry. The owners dont want to learn new technologies. My fellow services techs dont want to learn new technologies, hell they want to stay on paper invoicing, but B***H when they have to write an invoice on a job. The owners B****H about spending $50-75k a year on paper. But wont upgrade to paperless billing/invoicing. Claims its too hard to learn.

    Myself I am willing to learn anything new in this trade. But I am 8 years into it. My last place I worked with I worked with a tech that was 65years old. Could fix anything from an ancient oil burner(yes theres a few oil burners in south Florida) to a multi zoned Trane XV20. Had a manual collection that would probably rival rundawg. But he was always ready to learn.

    My opinion millennials are the most resilient to change that actually matters, like something to do with a JOB change

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    5,385
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathpunch0311 View Post
    I would beg to differ on your post. Not just older people that are resistant to change. Where I work. The owners are in their 40s and 90% of the service techs, to include myself, are in our 30s. Out of the 9 service techs we have, me and two more are willing to learn and accept the changes in our industry. The owners don’t want to learn new technologies. My fellow services techs don’t want to learn new technologies, hell they want to stay on paper invoicing, but B***H when they have to write an invoice on a job. The owners B****H about spending $50-75k a year on paper. But won’t upgrade to paperless billing/invoicing. Claims it’s too hard to learn.

    Myself I am willing to learn anything new in this trade. But I am 8 years into it. My last place I worked with I worked with a tech that was 65years old. Could fix anything from an ancient oil burner(yes there’s a few oil burners in south Florida) to a multi zoned Trane XV20. Had a manual collection that would probably rival rundawg. But he was always ready to learn.

    My opinion millennials are the most resilient to change that actually matters, like something to do with a JOB change
    Older people have been shown to be more resistant to change. I did not mean in imply that is is 100%. As I also said there are other groups that have that same tendency. I have an uncle that smoked until he was 100 years old that doesn't mean that smoking isn't bad for your health.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Vero Beach, Florida
    Posts
    497
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Older people have been shown to be more resistant to change. I did not mean in imply that is is 100%. As I also said there are other groups that have that same tendency. I have an uncle that smoked until he was 100 years old that doesn't mean that smoking isn't bad for your health.

    I misread that part. I do apologize for that.

    But now you have more first hand knowledge to further show its just not older people who are resistant to change



    Smoked until he was a 100?! My hats off to him. Met an old lady (97years old). Said the key to her long life was a pack a cigarettes a day and a glass of Jack Daniels every night before bed. Said shes being doing that since she was 16

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    5,385
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathpunch0311 View Post
    I misread that part. I do apologize for that.

    But now you have more first hand knowledge to further show its just not older people who are resistant to change
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Dayton Oh
    Posts
    2,064
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    I would think that almost all the pro members on this site would fall into the category of willing to learn in change. I mean that is the whole reason this site exist.

    Hell the amount of info I have picked up from this site rivals any schooling out there.

    I also believe there is no straight forward answer as the question is multi faceted depending on what perspective you want to look at it from as well.

    I also like timebuilders jab at social media. As a 32 year old I too think social media has been a horrible thing for younger people. Hell even for some older people. While do have a Facebook page from my early college years, my social media now consists of this site.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,400
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Do I see a reason to use a Carel control over a CCI , NO. When the Carel fails it’s getting a CCI.
    Carel makes easier for me, I love their controllers. I carry one and I can program it on site to get the chiller up.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beatrice, NE
    Posts
    10,028
    Post Likes
    I am that 60ish old fart that hates change, I do it but I hate it, but not all of it. This year I put in 5 Trane XV systems, I see that as good change. Creating an app to do something you could do with switches, jumpers or user interface is a bad thing, one more place to have a glitch.

    Back in the day I could walk up to a system and in most cases do some work around to get them going till some simple part could arrive. Now if you don't have the exact inducer, the exact igniter, the exact blower motor, the exact board, you don't run. It's that simple. I don't see that as being good for me or the customer. You use to be able to take a used part off a different brand and get someone going while the right part was being shipped. That is what being a tech is about, knowing the equipment well enough to know how to get it running even if parts are not available.

    I don't see learning as much of an issue as the reasoning. Often times things change because of government mandate that in the end only makes things harder to work on or for a manufacturer to create demand for a slumping product. Neither are reason for change. Equipment improvements, fix a faulty design, good, but to just add another layer of junk to deal with is not needed. I saw a post by PHM that said genius is not in how complicated you can make it but rather in how simple you can make it and still get the proper function. What was the last product you saw that could did that? Do you really need WiFi on your fridge?

    I am more than happy to learn and do so everyday, just make it worth while.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    39
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Many studies show that older people are resistant to change.
    Resistance to change is a symptom.

    The underlying biological phenomena is explained here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_...d_intelligence

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •