Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Likes

why the resistance to change

In supply house, counter guy was telling an older man (60's ish) about the comfortbridge app that goodman now has to setup their new higher end stuff (does goodman and high end go together?) Dude starts on a tear about how for the last 100 years heating and cooling never changed, and now in 5 years everyhting is changing and it dumb. he is glad he is done in the next few years.

Why such resistance to new technology and change. Yes I agree not all new technology is great, or it needs field trials for improvement. But to just get angry about the stuff seams childish to me. I was thinking to myself Im glad there is change, so that I can be one to learn the new changes and be one that can actually fix it.

Anyone here willing to admit they dont like change? Anyone else seeing this attitude?

Post Likes
    Older people in general do not like change. The longer one is used to the old ways of doing things, the longer it takes a person to learn new ways of doing things.
    I think there are other subsets of people that would also fit the description of not wanting change.
    Change is good and inevitable.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    I get it. And maybe it is the time that I have grown up in versus the time others have grown up in. From my point of view of the world, in regards to changing technology in general, is that it hasnt stopped changing. So I get it for me its just another normal event, and others it is different. But to be so closed minded about stuff just seams counterproductive.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    I get it. And maybe it is the time that I have grown up in versus the time others have grown up in. From my point of view of the world, in regards to changing technology in general, is that it hasnt stopped changing. So I get it for me its just another normal event, and others it is different. But to be so closed minded about stuff just seams counterproductive.
    Well put. Seeing that you are so aware of this it will probably be easier for you to see signs of this happening to yourself. I mean if it happens. If you do it probably wouldn't be a bad time to self evaluate on that and on other levels.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    For the most part,the "resistance to learn",I think ,it comes under the heading of "laziness".

Back in 72' or so there was an "oil embargo" which lead to the beginning of higher efficiency units and equipment changing. Back in the mid 70's or so there was an economy slowdown and NASA let a bunch of Engineers go. They drifted into the HVAC trade and they brought their "electronics/circuit boards" with them,and it has led to a constant change. That change is a good thing. I enjoy the challenge,and it is a challenge.

Post Likes
    My dad was a mechanical engineer. He told me he was glad to retire when he did. Otherwise it would have been a pain in the ass to stay in the trade.

You see, this was back in the day when there was little distinction between an engineer and a draftsman. The engineer made his own blue line prints.

What my dad didn't want to do was learn how to program CAD. And if he was going to continue being a mechanical engineer, he would've had to learn CAD.

In one sense, I'm sort of in the same spot. I'm pretty darn good at what I do. But my single biggest weakness is the huge variety of building automation systems. Fortunately, that has become a 'side trade' all it's own. So I guess you could say I have some built in protection.

Give me a building that is all pneumatic, and I am a happy man, LOL.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Down side is many manufacturers don't do adequate research and development. Throw new stuff out there that is junk and we the technicians are left to figure it out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Down side is many manufacturers don't do adequate research and development. Throw new stuff out there that is junk and we the technicians are left to figure it out.
    That's really the crux of most problems with change, and how we ended up with products like the Nest.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    And I like we are the r&d and the customer is the guinea pig.

Makes techs/companies look like the bad guy even though it's the mfr.

Carrier resi secondary hx, for example. Then mfr limits what they will do for the customer.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I remember when robinair was bought out,and they did away with r&d. You bought a recovery machine or a pump it came with a 1 year exchange policy. Problem being it failed in the middle of a job, and the wholesaler didn’t have another in stock it made you look like an idiot not robinair.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    And I like we are the r&d and the customer is the guinea pig...
    Uh, no such thing as a guinea pig. That word was replaced over 10 years ago with beta tester. I guess you're suppose to feel like you're helping instead being...well a guinea pig.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    Uh, no such thing as a guinea pig. That word was replaced over 10 years ago with beta tester. I guess you're suppose to feel like you're helping instead being...well a guinea pig.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    I don't like change. I actually liked it when I could work on my car. I liked it when furnaces were simple and lasted 60 years.
    I don't like how humans complicate everything with fancy technology that is engineered to be obsolete in a few years. I don't like how society is crippled when their wifi goes down. I don't like the fact that often it is cheaper to throw away a product and buy a new one, than it is to repair it.

This is why I don't like change.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast