Post Likes

Heat pump pressures

I just installed a new heat pump unit 410a air handler has a new evaporator coil my pressures in cooling mode are 90 on suction 200 on head 60 degree outdoor air temp when in heat pump mode pressure is 115 suction 425 head filters are clean all vents are open blower speed on high do you normally see a higher head when in heatpump mode

Post Likes
    Well the head pressure is related to what the indoor return air temp is in heating mode . Without knowing what that indoor temp is it is hard to say if your head pressure is excessive or not .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Is it a matched system ?

Post Likes
    Indoor air temp is 70 degrees

Post Likes
    Then yes I would say that the head pressure is a bit excessive . Usually you will have a condensing temp over ambient of 30 to 40 degrees in heating mode which would be your indoor temp because the evap coil is now your condenser in heating mode . So if you have 70 degrees as your return temp you would be looking somewhere in the range of 318 - 366 psi . Issues that cause low suction pressure in the summer are the same issue that will cause high head pressure in heating mode . Is the return filter really restrictive ? Do you have the proper size return ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    It has 2 20x20 filters with a 20inch return duct 5 ton system

Post Likes
    When unit first comes on in heat pressure is 100/300 after about 1 min ot slowly climbs to 115/425

Post Likes
    I would recover some refrigerant but in cool mode it seems low already 90/200

Post Likes
    Sounds like you just replaced the OD unit? as you mention you replaced the coil in the Air Handler? Yes/no? If yes then you probably have a Frankenstein system to a degree. What’s the brand and model number of the OD unit and brand and model number of the ID unit. What’s the age of the Air Handler?

Post Likes
    Did you weigh in the charge? How did you go about things on initial startup? What was the SH and SC?

Post Likes
    Sounds a bit like low indoor air flow.

2-20x20 air filters is small for 5 tons.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    As Bazooka Joey asked, Is it a matched set? If so, you have references to go to PT charts etc. If not matched, You can "expect" issues in the heat mode. Anybody can make it cool, but can you keep it going in heat mode. 60 degrees ODT has a lot of heat to pick up and pressures gonna run high.

Post Likes
    Why are you operating in heat mode with 60° ambient?