Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Please help decide new refrigerant or not for Infinity carrier 38YDB048 with variable

I have a 2006 unit carrier 38YDB048 with variable speed FE4ANB005.

Compressor has gone bad. Being on budget and depending on how much refrigerant it takes if we put new, I am trying to decide if I should ask the contractor to capture the refrigerant and reuse.

Please help find how many pounds of refrigerant this unit takes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedbuyer View Post
    I have a 2006 unit carrier 38YDB048 with variable speed FE4ANB005.

Compressor has gone bad. Being on budget and depending on how much refrigerant it takes if we put new, I am trying to decide if I should ask the contractor to capture the refrigerant and reuse.

Please help find how many pounds of refrigerant this unit takes
    He has to capture the refrigerant the question is why did the compressor fail and how much refrigerant is in there. There are alternative refrigerants that can be used as well. The next thing is at 13 years its hit the average life, is it worth the risk of evaporator or condenser failure along with everything else!

Post Likes
    If the compressor had an acidic burnout, you definitely do not want the old refrigerant. Due to its age, might consider all new. The r410a refrigerant is a minor cost of the compressor change out.

Post Likes
    Look at the OD unit electrical data plate ( if it’s visible ) it will give you a close approximation of how much refrigerant it needs.

One site say 14 lbs for the 38YDB 4 ton.

Post Likes
    That's the POS with the Bristol TS compressor. With Bristol gone, what are they gonna put in for a compressor? Personally I'd replace it all if possible.

R410a is dirt cheap right now. I wouldn't reuse!!!!!

6. Likes Brian8383 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    That's the POS with the Bristol TS compressor. With Bristol gone, what are they gonna put in for a compressor? Personally I'd replace it all if possible.

There was a service alert from Carrier on those Bristol Compressors. I know at one time they were giving a credit towards a new system. But that might have been if it was still under warrantee. Not sure of the details. I would check with your HVAC tech on that.

Your system is pretty much end-of-life anyway, I would opt for a whole new indoor & outdoor unit.

Time to to shopping.

Just remember: It is the quality of installation that counts- not the brand name. Choose your contractor carefully.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

8. Likes Brian8383 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Pretty sure all of those units should now be out of warranty so there will not be any credits.

I would suspect Carrier likely has a large stock of those compressors even though Bristol is gone.

I would recommend replacing the entire condensing unit though due to the age of it and to get rid of the Bristol.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post

I did not confirm POS, but if so, I TOTALLY agree!!!!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    Pretty sure all of those units should now be out of warranty so there will not be any credits.

I would suspect Carrier likely has a large stock of those compressors even though Bristol is gone.

I would recommend replacing the entire condensing unit though due to the age of it and to get rid of the Bristol.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    I don't think they have stock on those compressors, but they might.

They replaced them with other compressors when they failed(at least when I was dealing with them).
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    “With Bristol gone”....maybe not?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...g2CS1mqNK7maOW

Post Likes
    Thank you all for your insight.

The new compressor is being replaced by the home warranty company and they would supply it to the contractor. I am guessing I won't find out the brand and type until the contractor comes to the house. I will post here once I know what they replaced with.

Sounds like I should authorize the new refrigerant and not take chances with recycling the old one. They say including the line set it will require about 16 lbs. (the unit itself takes 14 lbs).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedbuyer View Post
    Thank you all for your insight.

The new compressor is being replaced by the home warranty company and they would supply it to the contractor. I am guessing I won't find out the brand and type until the contractor comes to the house. I will post here once I know what they replaced with.

Sounds like I should authorize the new refrigerant and not take chances with recycling the old one. They say including the line set it will require about 16 lbs. (the unit itself takes 14 lbs).
    DUMP THE WARRANTY COMPANY!

Post Likes
    I have thought about dumping them a few times over the period I have had them as it is painful to deal with them. On the flip side if one is willing to take that headache on you could come out ahead financially. Consider the broken compressor situation I have now, if I didn't have warranty my options would be to:

1) Pay for the new compressor, refrigerant and labor
    2) Buy new unit. Considering I am so use to the comfort and low electric bill with the Carrier Infinity I have had for 13 years (I have two of the same exact units) I would want new equivalent system costing decent amount of money.

If I had no warranty I would never do option 1 on a 13 year old unit.

If by spending a few 100 dollars I can extend the economic life of the system by a few years , that makes financial sense to me.

What am I missing guys?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast