Post Likes

Advise choosing The best Trane AC for my situation

Hi all,

I live in Orlando. FL and my home is 2,180 sqft.

I am in the process of getting quotes to replace a Trane xl19i 5 ton (15.9 SEER) installed 14 years ago. I am replacing it because it has a leak in the evaporator coil and uses R22 freon.

I am getting quotes for a XV20i, XV18i and a XR17. All units will use the TAM 9 air handler installed in the attic. I am leaning towards the XR17 2 stage(17SEER) because of the cost and from what I can tell it is the closest in performance to my current unit. I also have an Ecobee 3 with 5 room sensors that I will be reusing. One of the potential contractors did a heat load on my house and says I need a 4-ton unit. I am also waiting for a quote from another contractor who is doing the Manual J to confirm unit size. All the contractors feel my existing duct work is good; so other than some minor tweaking it will not be replaced.

As much as I would love to have one of the variable compressor units the upfront costs increase is at a minimum $1,445 more. I figure I will be in the house about ten years give or take.

I would appreciate any advice/feedback regarding my situation.

Thank you,
    Jim Schinina

Post Likes
    Ask for AHRI number or a certificate to prove those SEERs and EER.

Register your equipment of choose as if never registered the manufacturers warranty decreases significantly.

If reusing existing lineset, check to make sure it’s adequately sized for new equipment.

Post Likes
    They CAN BE great units or utter crap if sized and installed incorrectly. We sold a lot of the XR17's, good unit but I wouldnt connect it to the TAM9. The TAM9 is fully communicating and since your tstat isn't nor is the XR17 your paying for an ability you wont use, also not really a fan of having an EEV. I hardly ever replace trane TXV'S (1 a year) so they are plenty reliable, I just dont think your getting anything more than an over complicated device most tech cant diagnose. If you go with any variable a/c system your tstat and airhandler will have to be communicating

Post Likes
    Concentrate more on the name of the contractor then the name on the boxs.

The installing contractor makes or breaks a system!

Post Likes
    Who’s to say you need 5 tons of cooling?
    Tell us about the structure and how much the unit runs on an extremely hot day.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    They CAN BE great units or utter crap if sized and installed incorrectly. We sold a lot of the XR17's, good unit but I wouldnt connect it to the TAM9. The TAM9 is fully communicating and since your tstat isn't nor is the XR17 your paying for an ability you wont use, also not really a fan of having an EEV. I hardly ever replace trane TXV'S (1 a year) so they are plenty reliable, I just dont think your getting anything more than an over complicated device most tech cant diagnose. If you go with any variable a/c system your tstat and airhandler will have to be communicating
    Thank you for your response. It is my understanding that the TAM9 can be wired two ways communicating and non communicating. The reason I wanted it was because of the attic installation (Florida mega humid). I have some mold and rusted wire connections inside my existing air handler and was told that the TAM9 being composite would handle condensation better.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Who’s to say you need 5 tons of cooling?
    Tell us about the structure and how much the unit runs on an extremely hot day.
    Thank you for your response. My existing unit is a 5 ton, I believe it was over sized, that is why I am getting a manual J this go around.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    Ask for AHRI number or a certificate to prove those SEERs and EER.

Register your equipment of choose as if never registered the manufacturers warranty decreases significantly.

If reusing existing lineset, check to make sure it’s adequately sized for new equipment.
    Good advise, thank you for your response.

Post Likes
    Get the Man J done for proper size first.

Some info you may want to know.

The 19i is dual compressor, the 17i is a single compressor. The dual compressor provides a 50/100 split between 1st stg and 2nd stg with blower operation to match. The single compressor gives you a 70/100 split with blower operation at 80/100. This means that you will not notice the difference between 1st and 2nd stg as you do now and it may not dehumidify as well.

Either XV system will give you a capacity match to house needs except on very mild days and it can run with a lower blower speed for better dehumidification with the proper thermostat. If you are going to be in the house for 10 years I think the $150/year would be a good investment, but you need a great company to install it. The best equipment if installed like junk will run like junk. You don't want to deal with junk for 10 years.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JS Orlando View Post
    Thank you for your response. My existing unit is a 5 ton, I believe it was over sized, that is why I am getting a manual J this go around.
    Residence Built in 2005 ?

2-Story

# of Windows __ [ ? < 19 ]

Total Glass area ought to be ~ 290 Sq Feet

< 4 Tons

4TWR7048 with TEM6
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes

CONCEPTUAL CALC

NO reply to year built by OP

EXAMPLE Only
    _______ 2,180 SF, Single Story
    ___?___ Double Pane windows, 310 SF

75'F and 78'F inside temperatures

Q. SENSIBLE COOLING : 29,400 BTU/HR +/-22%

Could a 3-Ton Heat Pump system be judged to be adequate
    for YOUR situation?
    _________ GLASS AREA + TYPE ___ ?
    ____________ A.C.H. NATURAL = 0. _ _ ?
    _________ PERIMETER _____ FEET // WALL HEIGHT ___ FEET
    _______ DUCT LOCATION AND AMOUNT ?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities