+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Utica boiler Error code 64

Post Likes

Utica boiler Error code 64

Help! I'm losing my mind over this one. Here's the story: I installed a new Utica boiler last October. It worked fine last winter. Customer turns it on this year and no heat. She has a contract with the utility company so she called them. They diagnose it, and replace the Honeywell control and get the same Error code 64. They told her there must be something wrong with the house wiring and closed out the ticket. The customer calls me. Not knowing exactly what they did, I went out with a new Honeywell control and a pilot assembly. So first I checked line voltage, voltage to ground, neutral to ground, and made sure I had good tight grounds everywhere. Still code 64, so I replaced the control and pilot assembly. Still code 64. So I ran romex across the basement floor directly from the boiler to the fuse box (The house has a 60+ year old fuse box and is grounded through the copper plumbing pipe) and still code 64. I wanted to make sure I had a good ground so I drove a copper pipe into the ground outside and connected it via a #10 wire to the fuse box. Still code 64. Spent an hour on the phone with tech support jumping out/ disconnecting things and trouble shooting. Still code 64. So Utica, under warranty agrees to upgrade the boiler controls. The kit they sent me included a new Hydrostat 3200 plus control, spark module, pilot assembly, well sensor, and all new wiring harnesses. So I replaced all that, powered it up, and immediately get a code 64. The house has a smart meter. One other thing to note, with the old control, the sequence made it to the spark cycle. Sparked for about 2 seconds before throwing the 64 code. With the new Hydrostat control, the 64 code displays immediately. I have no idea what to do at this point.

Post Likes
    64 is a soft lock out? electronics failure. On-board self diagnostics detected error.

Try switching polarity?

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply. Switching polarity was one of the first things I tried.

Post Likes
    Maybe the gas valve has an internal short?

Post Likes
    I called Hydrostat and they do not have a 64 error code. That's the water temperature. What are the chances? Anyway, there must me another reason why the boiler wont start. Headed back over there shortly.

Post Likes
    Electrician here. Check current flow on the ground, if it is higher than a few amps there may be something wrong at the pole. The old bakelite fuse boxes can leak voltage. Pull the fuse and see if you still have voltage. Make sure the neutral is bonded to the ground.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FitterTom View Post
    I called Hydrostat and they do not have a 64 error code. That's the water temperature. What are the chances? Anyway, there must me another reason why the boiler wont start. Headed back over there shortly.
    So what did you find.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in