Post Likes

Natural gas to propane conversion on gas logs

I have a heater that I have got from a buddy it says it is a lost world on the front of it but Im not sure I havent Ben able to find a model number for it and I was wanting to try to convert it to propane because natural gas is not available in our area I was wondering if someone on her could point me in the right direction I had called a stove place and they had told me that u can not buy the orfice to convert a vent free fire place so Im not sure what to do any advice is appreciated I pulled the regulator off and found a number on it rv82fb 3 but its not giving me a lot of info

Post Likes
    Why in the world would you want to try to use a used vent free fireplace? Get the life insurance (and fire insurance) paid up and current. And get yourself a low level (not home depot brand) low level carbon monoxide detector.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    It is a pretty nice looking fireplace I hate to junk it I traded a few old things I had laying around the house for it I thought if nothing else I could use it in my garage

Post Likes
    Vent free fireplaces are a danger to begin with. I have never seen a vent free propane fireplace, though I dont research vent free at all. As my experience has been called when ventfeee fireplaces were being used and causing Carbon monoxide build up.

Sorry vent free is trash. Be great full that it does not work as they are inherently dangerous.

Post Likes
    I have two in my house and have heated with them for years with no issues does a really good job heating our brick home and have never set off a carbon detector I have one up stairs that runs all the time and one in basement that I rarely light I dont get a gas odor and have never had the detector go off from it

Post Likes
    UL listed carbon monoxide alarms and monitors allow carbon monoxide to build up and not alert or show.

A ventless fuel burning fireplace or heater is not meant as a permanent heating device nor is it designed to be safe for that use. Burning fuel not only can create carbon monoxide but also depletes oxygen. Most ventless fireplaces or heaters have only one safety which is an oxygen depletion sensor. I would not risk my life on a 50cent sensor made in some plant in China.

Do not heat with ventless fireplaces or heaters.

Post Likes
    how can they sell them if they are that dangerous to use also would it be that dangerous in a garage where u are opening the doors and stuff and not burning 24/7

Post Likes
    All ventless fuel burning devices I have ever seen state they are for temporary use only or decoration use only and must have a window opened for fresh air to be supplied during operation.

So I would say they are safer in a garage that door is being opened frequently. But totally safe, no fuel burning appliance is totally safe unless it is vented properly to the outdoors.

Many things are sold that are unsafe for use to use or consume. I think they get by the regulation of safety by advertising as a temporary use only and by having an oxygen depletion sensor as a safety.

Post Likes
    Ventless fireplaces have actually been outlawed in many areas due to CO and other contaminants that degrade the air quality within a space.
    UL listed CO detector minimum standards were born from input from fire departments having concerns about constant false alarms.
    Ventless are not intended to be a permanent heating source.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician