Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the calculations and other insights. I'm going to reach out to the tech who originally diagnosed the problem to try and get some specifics on why the compressor broke. I will also get a second opinion.

If we are able to get away with only replacing the heat pump, would it have to be a Carrier or sister brand? Or can we explore other options such as Daikin, which we received the most quotes on.

As for making alterations to the ductwork, unfortunately it's just not in our budget at this time. There was only one tech out of five who mentioned this being an issue. With our current use of the backup electric furnace, the house seems to be heating well, with a few minor cold spots. The only truly cold room is the master bedroom on the second floor that is quite large and only has one register.

Post Likes
    That’s unfortunate because they could be the reason for the failure.

This is how it works.
    Equipment is sized for the heat load / loss of the building
    Then the ducts are sized to the requirements of the equipment.
    Too often the equipment is oversized and the ducts are undersized.

Post Likes
    The only solution he gave me was to go with a more basic heat pump, which was either a Daikin 4 ton 14 SEER or 15 SEER with 20kw Multispeed Electric Air Handler.

Post Likes
    IMO,

No it does not have to be a Carrier or sister brand, but as comfortdoc mentioned a Payne or Day Night would be a good choose even a no frill Carrier 13-14 SEER. I would not necessarily go over the top and put a 16 SEER OD unit as it takes the indoor and outdoor selection to determine a AHRI match. IMO even 15 SEER OD unit is pushing it. Being a 15 years old ID section there is no AHRI match.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by samepdx View Post
    The only solution he gave me was to go with a more basic heat pump, which was either a Daikin 4 ton 14 SEER or 15 SEER with 20kw Multispeed Electric Air Handler.
    big bucks to run a 20 KW heater, even breaking it up. As an example only, a refrigerator draws give or take 5 amps when running, a 20KW heater at 230volts draws approx. 80 amps. a 15KW heater draws approx. 60 amps. a 10 KW draws aprox. 40 amps.

What do you have for a heater size now in your existing Air Handler?

20KW = 68240BTU

Post Likes
    When I was looking up our current air handler (Carrier FV4BNF005), I noticed that it has a dual speed fan. Does that mean we can connect it to a two stage heat pump, or is fan speed in reference to something else? One tech said we could only use a single stage with our current air handler, another said we could use a two stage, and another said we could buy any and run it as a single stage.

Is an AHRI match required or is that just to confirm the energy efficiency stats?

Post Likes
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...peXtNyW2vxOZYQ

This shows it can be hooked to a 2 speed HP ( page 9 ) does not mention the NF after FV4B dated 2003.

So what is your OD unit now? a single or two speed?

Nowadays they call them single or two stage, so may want to get clarification if they are the same terminology.

The thing is they make 2 stages at around 16 SEER nowadays. Just because your old unit Air Handler say 14 SEER, does not mean you have a 14 SEER rated existing system, as it takes both the indoor and OD selection to determine SEER, EER, and HSPF. At 15 years old it will not show your existing combo on the current AHRI web-site.

Post Likes
    Our current heat pump model is a Carrier 38YXA.

Here are the notes from the tech who diagnosed the compressor issue:

"Tested furnace in auxiliary heating and everything is working fine there. All motors and electric elements are functioning. I went to the outdoor unit and found the compressor not running. I tested the voltages and capacitors. They are all good. I tried adding a hard start kit to try and get it started. It didn't work I discussed with the customer. I set the thermostat to auxiliary heating and left the power off at the heat pump."

Post Likes
    Your quote:

“The last company who came out did a pressure test with the air handler and said our system was under too much pressure”

The system has been working for 15 years pretty much without any problems? no refrigerant was added over the years? If so with a locked up compressor how did the Tech. Determine you have to much pressure, when it’s not running? Based on static pressure?

Says it’s a 13 SEER rated system looks to be a standard single stage

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...BJ0szFKRQ9DbIf

If ID coil is not leaking and the Air Handler is in good overall condition IMO throw in a Payne, 13-14 SEER OD unit or another no frill 13-14 SEER or another UTX brand, register it and be done with it.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 12-11-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    Your quote:

“The last company who came out did a pressure test with the air handler and said our system was under too much pressure”

The system has been working for 15 years pretty much without any problems? Yes/No. If so with a locked up compressor how did the Tech. Determine you have to much pressure, when it’s not running?
    Im hoping were talking Static Pressure!

Post Likes
    Yes, according to service records from the past 5 years or so, the system has been working well for at least that time, if not its entire 15 year lifespan.

I will find out how the tech determined the system had too much pressure without running the heat pump.

Post Likes
    As for our interest in putting in a higher-end heat pump (two stage, variable), we are trying to look ahead to when we will eventually have to replace the air handler, and hopefully upgrade the overall system.

The quotes we have received are for heat pumps ranging from 15-18 SEER, single, two stage, and variable. I understand that putting in a higher efficiency heat pump now won't necessarily make the overall system more efficient with the existing air handler.

Post Likes
    Well....at least from me, good luck with whatever decision you make, remember the more recognized brands ( higher SEER and complexity ) may require to replace both the ID and OD units at the same time to get the full manufacturers warranty.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast