Post Likes

Guess what is wrong with secong blower?

These are variable capacity, 98.7 AFUE units. Last season one unit quit. Tech said "Squirrel cage on blower collapsed". New unit ran AC fine. Now heat on. When it sometimes starts on high, like a slight scraping sound. Nothing very noisy but not silent like these things are. Of course I will call for warranty service. Just wondering if anyone guessed what it was? Thanks

Post Likes

Smile Round 2

Quote Originally Posted by univac View Post
    These are variable capacity, 98.7 AFUE units.

Last season one unit quit.

Tech said " Squirrel cage on blower collapsed".

New unit ran AC fine. Now heat on.
    When it sometimes starts on high, like a slight scraping sound.
    Nothing very noisy but not silent like these things are.

Of course I will call for warranty service.

Just wondering if anyone guessed what it was?
    THE SQUIRREL Never
    ____________ made it out Alive.!
    ________________________ …
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Hey no fair. I could have guessed that myself. Or would that be DIY then? anyways, tech is a dodo because is a vortex not a squirrel LOL.

Post Likes
    The wheel could be out of balance (improper install), the motor mounts could be bad, loose, the wheel could just not be in the right place or came loose. Or whatever caused the first motor to burn up (improper air flow, restrictive/dirty filter) happened again.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    I have never seen a blower wheel collapse. That would mean it caved in on itself which with the center hub would be kinda hard. Now I have seen them come apart where the fins separate from the disc. It starts out as a sort of a rattle then as it gets wore turns into a screech. I have also heard where the magnets in the motor came loose and made a noise like a dry bearing.

Post Likes
    What is the model of the furnace? How is the return duct configured?

Post Likes
    Thanks folks. I am not going to be much help there. It is some state of the art Lennox(there are 8 or 9 of them in this home) and I have no clue how the return duct is configured. If you mean what I think, it is a big vertical box that goes into ULPA media setup. As of now it is not scratching. When it starts if it starts on high it makes a big "whoosh". CO on that furnace and monitored units around home are on Zero PPM. Very odd. It "was" scratching before and after induction motor was running but not during. Filter is not user serviceable. There cannot be an air leak because the unit would shut down with an error. Since you folks cannot see it I really have to wait for tech. The reason I ask you is some of them are better than others. I hate to say that but it is a sad truth. The owner is an Engineer, lives close by and little would stump him. Although that is not everyone unfortunately. I know most of you here are pretty spot on. I am guessing either that is mounted wrong or another dud motor. Although shouldn't diagnostics catch that? It seems if you look at one of those units the wrong way they will go into protection. So I am surprised that whatever this is did not shut it down. I also just noticed that unit is short cycling. It is set on 66F. It is about 20F outside. Well insulted 8" walls. It is coming on almost as soon as it shuts off. The others are sitting idle for up to an hour plus. If I am lucky they replace that entire unit. I think Lennox has something like 3 times no dud. Although if seller says it is gone I was told they trust seller. Not that they are lying either. Well, I am not even nearly that far yet. Let them look at it first. For all I know, last Tech left his bag of Dorito's in there! Wait... It just started with no noise at all! Heck, even if that keeps up it is still short cycling. Ahh gee whiz.

Post Likes
    The furnace itself is resting on bricks in case of flood, what have you. So he said it is not level. He shimmed the motor/longer screws of course and all is well. Luckily I got a good tech. However now ducts make parodic cooling down(contracting) noise. Oh well. I have been in 200 year old homes that do not "creak" as much as ours. Not shoddy workmanship either. This is very high end. Not a huge deal. Bigger worries in life really.

Post Likes
    8" thick walls and you have 8-9 furnaces? 50k square ft or are polar bears your neighbor? I'm not trying to shame the owner, just trying to figure out wtf your attempting to describe. Please update this thread with what the warranty company says. Did you mean the airfilter cant be reached? It had better be serviceable!

Post Likes
    Whenever they resolve the noise request your total external static pressure be measured

Post Likes
    Sounds like the MOD (mudulating) furnace...
    It will do some of the things you describe...

It is NOT set up properly (thermostat, low voltage wiring, DIP switches, etc)...
    Need to go back through commissioning and set it up properly...
    AND
    Remove the bold from the blower motor shipping bracket...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!