Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    If the motors control board is bad why are they replacing the motor and module? I'm not super familiar with high end lennox equipment but usually you can get the motor and module separately, motors and control board hardly ever fail, it's usually just the module on top of the motor. Also if the wiring harness plugs into the side of the motor that plug must be pointed straight down so any condensation wont make contact with the electrical connections and will drip off the wiring

Post Likes
    Yes it is a loss of communication code. By power line do you mean the utility line to the house or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    Is that a loss of communication code?

Had one go through a number of condensor motors (failed motor) , turned out to be power line issue.

Post Likes
    Unfortunately it seems that the motors are only sold with the modules attached and they cannot be replaced separately. The location is very dry and we have not seen any issues with condensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    If the motors control board is bad why are they replacing the motor and module? I'm not super familiar with high end lennox equipment but usually you can get the motor and module separately, motors and control board hardly ever fail, it's usually just the module on top of the motor. Also if the wiring harness plugs into the side of the motor that plug must be pointed straight down so any condensation wont make contact with the electrical connections and will drip off the wiring

Post Likes
    It is the same exact AC unit as we bought them together. The installer was the same and we are both in the same condo building with the same condo layout, I am just two floors above so we also have the same duct system installed in our ceilings.

Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    Power supply could be the issue, but if your neighbors unit is on same power and only had 1 failure and the installations are close to the same, i agree with others here that static pressure in the duct system is more likely the issue. Pretty easy test with a good tech. should be a lot of info from Google you can find online as these motors have been around a while. Good luck.

Post Likes
    My bet is still with static pressure being out of the furnace label specs. Hire a test and balance tech to verify.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    My bet is still with static pressure being out of the furnace label specs. Hire a test and balance tech to verify.
    Yeah, if static is high, as above 1". Those motors/modules don't last long.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    When you say the equipment has voltage regulators do you mean it has a surge protector or a voltage monitor that can shut the system down if power drops out of set parameters. I can see 1 failed motor maybe being a dud, 8 motors though is the symptom of a different issue.

Post Likes
    I think we need some solid numbers and info from the OP before we can really supply any help. Other than that we are just guessing.
    Static pressure? ESP?
    Condition of coil. Clean through & through?
    Filter clean?
    Static across filter?
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    Thank you for the message. I have a new Tech company coming in today to take a look at it and they will do a static test as well. The coil is clean as is the filter. The unit was bought new and installed a couple years ago and the environment around it is always kept Clean. I will update all once I get more info.

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    I think we need some solid numbers and info from the OP before we can really supply any help. Other than that we are just guessing.
    Static pressure? ESP?
    Condition of coil. Clean through & through?
    Filter clean?
    Static across filter?

Post Likes
    Sorry I mean Voltage Monitors. The system has two voltage monitors. One is attached to the condenser and then other is attached to the air handler. Additionally the whole condo unit is on a surge protector.

Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    When you say the equipment has voltage regulators do you mean it has a surge protector or a voltage monitor that can shut the system down if power drops out of set parameters. I can see 1 failed motor maybe being a dud, 8 motors though is the symptom of a different issue.

Post Likes
    I've had several with this issue. some of it is caused by "microfretting". when replacing the motor was told to put dielectric gel on the harness connections to prevent this. In one case they said to replace the motor, wire harness to motor and the board.

I was already pretty much in the habit of doing this on all units due to moisture damage I was seeing on some units.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Sounds like a power imbalance. I would be checking each leg to ground.
    I wonder if they're using 2 legs of 3 phase to power the 230v air handler.
    Wonder if the low voltage was converted to 208v.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12