Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

8th Blower Motor blown on Lennox Signature Series A/C Unit in 4 years - Code 201

Greetings,

I am now on my 8th 33W13 Blower Motor with Module 1-HP Variable speed for my Dave Lennox Signature Series iComfort Air Conditioner on Guam. It seems that I am forced to replace the blower motor every 4 to 6 months due to getting the 201 Alarm code.

The system has voltage regulators attached to both the Air Handler as well as the Compressor unit, but that has not seemed to remedy the issue. I have a friend in the exact same condo building with the exact same unit, that had this only happen once to him. Any ideas? The tech states that the controller board which is attached to the variable speed motor seems to continually "get fried" but I cannot believe it could happen 8 times in the past 4 years...

Air Handler is the Lennox Signature Collection CBX32MV
    Compressor is the Lennox Signature Collection XC21

Post Likes
    Have the air flow checked. Static pressure on the system will probably tell the tale.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply. Could you please explain a little bit further about "static pressure" on the system and how this could cause it to continually happen? Thank you for your time

Post Likes
    Bad duct design increases the static pressure. High static kills ECM motors.

Post Likes
    There MUST be enough air flow for the size of the equipment. A very common mistake is installing big equipment, thinking that bigger will be better. It is not better.
    Variable speed blowers will increase their speed to satisfy the need for air flow but undersized ducts reach a limit and the blower just burns itself up trying to move more air.
    We see it frequently.
    Old style motors just spun at a given RPM (instead of speeding up) so they didn't fail as often.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    The static pressure must be checked and verified.
    I’d bet it’s the cause of your problems.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    I would hope that after replacing the second motor your tech would call Lennox tech support. Then they would have been guided to precisely what we have recommended.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    I would hope that after replacing the second motor your tech would call Lennox tech support. Then they would have been guided to precisely what we have recommended.
    Unfortunately that most likely did not happen due to the unit being on the island of Guam and Lennox not having a distributor there as well as the tech always saying it is caused by brown outs or power fluctuations thus they installed voltage regulators on the air handler and also the compressor

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    There MUST be enough air flow for the size of the equipment. A very common mistake is installing big equipment, thinking that bigger will be better. It is not better.
    Variable speed blowers will increase their speed to satisfy the need for air flow but undersized ducts reach a limit and the blower just burns itself up trying to move more air.
    We see it frequently.
    Old style motors just spun at a given RPM (instead of speeding up) so they didn't fail as often.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll have this looked into

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Bad duct design increases the static pressure. High static kills ECM motors.

Thanks for the reply. It seems that it is the logic board (I believe it is called) that has the issue per my tech. He wanted to change the variable speed motor to a single speed (which I would be fine with at this point, but then decided it was too complicated...)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JFreeman View Post
    Unfortunately that most likely did not happen due to the unit being on the island of Guam and Lennox not having a distributor there as well as the tech always saying it is caused by brown outs or power fluctuations thus they installed voltage regulators on the air handler and also the compressor
    Read this "there is no fix for dirty power" you can get the static pressure checked, 10 different heat loads, your can have your unit chromed, you can call Dave and have him come out personally, I repeat "there is no fix for dirty power" except "CLEAN" power.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

12. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Power supply could be the issue, but if your neighbors unit is on same power and only had 1 failure and the installations are close to the same, i agree with others here that static pressure in the duct system is more likely the issue. Pretty easy test with a good tech. should be a lot of info from Google you can find online as these motors have been around a while. Good luck.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    Is that a loss of communication code?

Had one go through a number of condensor motors (failed motor) , turned out to be power line issue.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast