Post Likes

Mixing furnace and AC from different manufactures - is this OK?

About five years ago my gas furnace went out on a sub-zero day, and I had to decide quick on a brand to go with. Decided on a Maytag, based on reviews I saw online, and their warranty. Had the cash on hand to replace the furnace, but elected to hold off on the AC unit, since it was (at the time) about a 10 year old single-stage Trane unit, and I didn't have enough to pay for an AC unit. Got the Maytag M1200, model PGC2TC120DVD, 2-stage variable speed gas furnace.

No problems with the heat over the past 5 years, but the capacitor on the outside AC unit has gone out 3 times over the past couple of years, so I'm thinking it may be time to replace the 15 year-old AC. Plus, when the inside blower kicks on with the AC, it always seems to be full blast, and is rather loud inside the house.

I'd like to get a matching Maytag AC unit, but no one in Cincinnati seems to carry it, or any other Nortek brands. The guy who installed my furnace 5 years back seems to not be in business anymore. I'd really like to take full advantage of the variable speed blower, and match it with an efficient AC unit. Should I just call another HVAC installer and have them install another brand of AC unit? I don't really want something that is cobbled together, I'd like something that meshes well with my current furnace.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Post Likes
    No problem using a different brand of A/CC.

The blower coming on hard is due to the way the original installer set up the furnace.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    No problem using a different brand of A/CC.

The blower coming on hard is due to the way the original installer set up the furnace.
    Thanks for the info!