Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Great cheap home made tools

One of the best things I’ve ever made is my TXV thermostatic element wrenches. I went to the pawn shop and bought a 1” and 1-¼” wrenches. I then ground down the open end to about ¼” wide.

These are a great timesaver when changing thermostatic elements. Channel-locks and Crescent wrenches are just too wide to grab the element.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

2. Likes thatguy, heatingman, Turtleman, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I did something similar with an adjustable wrench before I found out Sporlan makes wrenches for that purpose but those ones have short handles so the ones you made might be easier to use (and probably significantly cheeper).

Crescent also makes an adjustable wrench that works well for that purpose. I can take a photo of it if you want but I’m not near my tools right now.
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Wow... pretty inventive.

Post Likes
    Nice. I usually try to commandeer the flat stamped wrenches like the ones that come with tools like table saws (changing blades) and routers.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

6. Likes Turtleman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Rigid make a offset head pipe wrench with skinny jaws.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coyote33 View Post
    Wow... pretty inventive.
    X2!
    I miss when you could still take time to charge by the frost line.

Post Likes
    I have an old pair of knipex pliers that gets most power heads off and back on.

Like the wrench idea though.... probably easier to work in tight spaces than those pliers.

Have an adjustable plumbers wrench I have used too...... very thin jaws and short handle. but its a cheap tool and its hard to get the jaws set just right so they dont slip.
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Oprah/Greta 2020

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    Rigid make a offset head pipe wrench with skinny jaws.
    https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-31305-.../dp/B0009W9BT0

That's what I used.
    I modified it by grinding down the flare end of the handle so a 12"-18" piece of 3/4" EMT that was flattened could be slipped over this creating a cheeter pipe.

Used that same piece of EMT as a cheater for a 1/2" socket wrench.
    Eric

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ESokoloff View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-31305-.../dp/B0009W9BT0

That's what I used.
    I modified it by grinding down the flare end of the handle so a 12"-18" piece of 3/4" EMT that was flattened could be slipped over this creating a cheeter pipe.

Used that same piece of EMT as a cheater for a 1/2" socket wrench.
    That’s the wrench I use too. Really handy for txv’s and a bunch of other stuff also.

Post Likes

Great cheap home made tools

Sporlan sells a wrench specifically for TXV heads

Never mind, I just realized someone else already mentioned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Yep that's the one I use as well https://amzn.to/2thk6hm really handy little wrench.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolsofthetrade View Post
    Yep that's the one I use as well https://amzn.to/2thk6hm really handy little wrench.
    That's it's attraction but also its downfall in certain circumstances.
    Grinding down the teardrop/bubble on the end of the handle allows you to slip a flattened to fit section of 3/4" EMT over the handle to increase your leverage substantially.
    Eric

Post Likes
    I have a little "tool" I made to pop off the ductless split head units. I have a tool I made to press in the bushings to join two sections of cast iron baseboard. I made a heavy duty jonny bar with nylon coated cast iron wheels and long sleeve bearings to move boilers around without marring floors. Pressure gauge with a 1/4" male flare fitting so I can use nitrogen tank to pressure test small gas pipe runs instead of getting the air compressor. Wood handles on 1/8" rods make a nice tool for tightening or replacing spring loaded hinges. I made a deal to help cool and condense the vapor to make recovery faster, but I never ended up using it because I found out they make a nice one just like it that is not home made and looks way better, lol.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

16. Likes trippintl0 liked this post.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast