Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Trane furnace taking forever to heat home

My furnace is 3/4 years old and it takes many hours to get up to temp.

Home details: 1300 square foot built in 1949, located just a bit outside of Seattle so weather is pretty mild, cmu brick (cinder block) construction, insulated attic, Trane XR95 furnace and ducting added new 3-4 years ago. It is a furnace only, no AC.

We had some construction done on our house when we first bought it 3/4 years ago. Pretty soon after moving in we noticed that our furnace would push warm air for about 30/60 minutes and then start pushing cold air. First thing I looked at was the filter and it was pretty dirty/clogged from construction dust. Swapped the filter and still having the same problems. I called the HVAC installer to come take a look. He wasn’t sure exactly why was causing it to blow cold are but thought that maybe it was overheating so he swapped out some fuse or relay (not sure which). My memory is a little fuzzy on these details, but he said it would slow the furnace down so that it wouldn’t over heat. Well the furnace definitely doesn’t push air out at the same force as before. It definitely slowed down the furnace but I was having the same problem. I did some reading on my Trane XR95 and started to use better quality filters designed for high efficiency furnaces. I also have replaced those filters on a regular schedule and I have had zero issues with the furnace blowing cold air for the last few years.

Now I want to get my furnace back to they way it was from the manufacturer and trying to figure out was fuse/relay he could have swapped to cause it to slow down the force of the air.

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Find a different contractor. Using the furnace during construction is not good. The unit probably needs a good cleaning.

Post Likes
    Are you using a pleated filter?

Post Likes
    Yes I am using a pleated filter. Since I switched to those I haven’t had anymore problems with it blowing cold air. It just doesn’t push the air with much force. It took 5 hours to go up 10 degrees yesterday.

Post Likes
    Find a service provider that comes recommended from friends or neighbors and get the unit serviced first. A good tech will go thru all operations and test. In this case you get what you pay. The 49.99 special is not going to get much.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    Didn’t he give you a detailed invoice to explain what he did and to have history? Sounds like it’s tripping a high limit and shutting the burners off even before he adjusted something? Ask him for the original commissioning report to prove he set up your furnace to manufacturers specifications. Who sized the furnace originally to your residence, what size and efficiency was your old unit to this unit?

Ducts running in unconditioned areas, return duct sealed and not pulling in cold air into the return?

Make sure to register your furnace as the manufacturers warranty decreases significantly if never registered.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattocain View Post
    Yes I am using a pleated filter. Since I switched to those I haven’t had anymore problems with it blowing cold air. It just doesn’t push the air with much force. It took 5 hours to go up 10 degrees yesterday.
    The filter has no bearing on what kind of air the furnace puts out

Post Likes
    Well you have problems, get someone in that can check it for you.

Post Likes
    Why does the furnace need to recover 10°? Once it reaches temperature does it maintain it?

Remember the furnace has to heat everything in the home - furniture, walls, floors, ceiling, cabinets, etc. 2° per hour is not unreasonable for a properly sized furnace.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    See this is what I also wasn’t sure about! Is that a normal recovery time. We turn our furnace off completely at night so by the time we get up it’s about 60/61 degrees and we usually maintain throughout the day at 69/70.

Post Likes

See this is what I also wasn’t sure about!
    Is that a normal recovery time.

We turn our furnace off completely at night so by the time
    we get up it’s about 60/61 degrees and
    we usually maintain throughout the day at 69/70.
    Blower Door Test is needed to address
    any excessive infiltration
    in a 1949 residence.

Also, Duct needs to be nearly leak-free.

Set furnace to 63'F for nighttime.
    Normal recovery when ODT is 41+'F should be much shorter.

What is YOUR monthly Natural Gas use for EACH
    of the last 25 months?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    See this is what I also wasn’t sure about! Is that a normal recovery time. We turn our furnace off completely at night so by the time we get up it’s about 60/61 degrees and we usually maintain throughout the day at 69/70.
    Why turn it off? No furnace is designed for that large of a temperature swing! Id also add any larger swing and there could be condensation issues.
    Loose the Pleated furnace killing filter, the air filter is too prevent damage to the furnace and blower assembly not to act a vacuum cleaner!

Post Likes
    Talk to me about the filter. What’s the difference between pleated and non pleated and what are the best filters to use? I’ll add that air return is in our living room and gets very dusty within about a month. I usually change my filter every month for the high usage times and a every other month during lower usage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast