Thread: Help!!! Thermostat issue

Post Likes

Help!!! Thermostat issue

My father (87) Called me and said that when the furnace runs (Bryant with AC) the temperature on the thermostat goes down instead of up. I said no way that is not possible. So I drive over here (Sunday 2 1/2 hours) and sure enough. we set the temperature at 70 the furnace starts running and the temperature on the thermostat starts going down instead of up 69, 68, 67 66 65 until we turn it off and its by now like 76 in here. then when we turn it off the temperature on the thermostat starts going up again.

I run to the store I buy a new thermostat. And I say see its fixed but no. SAME ISSUE. I have never seen anything like it in my life. I called our heating and cooling guy back home he said same thing never seen anything like it. can anyone help? Thank you

After we shut if off temp comes back slowly, and goes to normal temp. the hole where the wire goes is very small, is like 90 in furnace room, There are no drafts in entire house extremely well build house to say the least.

I ran just the fan (heat off) and it goes down as well. down to 66 65 and going. but it is still like 70 in here.

Post Likes
    What does your service tech say?

Post Likes
    its sunday he is not answering

Post Likes
    Do you have hot air blowing out of the vents when the heat is on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thanasi View Post
    its sunday he is not answering
    Turn on a space heater and wait until tomorrow. Try resetting the breaker, only help I can give in the open forums. You have already done the uneducated consumer move of replacing the thermostat.

Post Likes
    yes very hot air.

Post Likes
    yes very hot air.

Clean filter?

Post Likes
    adlerbets, please stop responding. did you read the issue? why would I need space heater the furnace will not stop running it is 80 in here, the furnace is running because the temperature on the thermostat keeps going down. the filter is new but even if was filthy what would that have to do with anything when its 90 in here. Please if you cannot help let others do so.

Post Likes
    This is not a diy site. Sounds like the furnace is working just need to figure out why the cold draft is manipulating the thermostat temperature. I would say just turn it on and off manually till you can get your heating guy out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    adlerbets, please stop responding. did you read the issue? why would I need space heater the furnace will not stop running it is 80 in here, the furnace is running because the temperature on the thermostat keeps going down. the filter is new but even if was filthy what would that have to do with anything when its 90 in here. Please if you cannot help let others do so.
    You came on here and abruptly went against site rules and we are supposed to be cordial?

Like was said, figure out why the thermostat isn’t reading right. You most likely already wasted money on a new thermostat that wasn’t needed. Find someone skilled to fix the issue, not what this site is for.

Post Likes
    I actually am pretty sure of what is going on but this isn’t a diy site.

Post Likes
    is probably the board or the sensor just need someone that had the problem to tell me which if you know th proble why are you wasting your time with the dumb response unreal!! you wasted more enrgey!!!! I guess was too much to ask for some help

Post Likes

Post Likes
    yes he suggested i move it thats all

Post Likes
    Hitting the guys pretty hard aren’t you?

Post Likes
    Has it been working ok in the past?

Post Likes
    yes he suggested i move it thats all
    Yep. And if you had it off the wall before you should check for a cold draft behind it and seal it. There, I helped. Although I shouldn’t.

18. Likes chrisevansac liked this post.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in