Post Likes

HVAC Pro and GXtools with VMWare issues

So this has been a long standing battle for me. My old laptop I never conquered and blue screen in the Vm when connecting to the controllers. But with a new laptop I was able to make it work. The issue is a terrible time lapse with uploads, and downloads. I use Vmware a digiport usb to serial adapter then a B&B adapter for the connection. Example would be 10 minutes to upload a VMA 1420, or yesterday while attempting to upload a DX9100 I waited 5 minutes and never was successful. If I use my old laptop dedicated for hvac pro with the same adapters the time is what I would expect. The old laptop is on it's death bed, so was really hoping to use the new machine as much as possible. I'm not quite sure where to look for the timing issue? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Norriski Tech View Post
    My old laptop I never conquered and blue screen in the Vm when connecting to the controllers. But with a new laptop I was able to make it work.
    Clarify this please. I do not understand this at all.
    I use HVACPro with VmWare all the time with no issues.
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by numbawunfela View Post
    Clarify this please. I do not understand this at all.
    I use HVACPro with VmWare all the time with no issues.
    My last laptop was a Win 7 64bit machine that I ran a Win 7 32 bit Vm on. All tools would work fine until a connection to let's say a UNT was made then the Vm would blue screen. JCI man on here felt like it was a driver issue with that specific laptop. After several attempts to get it to work I threw in the towel because I have an older laptop that I run Xpmode that works fine. Fast forward to my newest laptop I just got using that same Vm that would blue screen on the first laptop described everything works fine except the upload and download speeds described in the original post. The fact the same Vm works in my newest machine and wouldn't on the one I think speaks to the driver issue that JCI man thought was the problem. That machine didn't have the resources to run the Vm efficiently because the lack of ram on the host. My newest machine has 64gb of ram and runs the Vm and host with no issues which has peaked my interest in using Vm's again. Any ideas about the timing issues stated in the original post?

Post Likes
    It sounds like the VM is busted, and the increased resources on the host machine gave a marginal improvement, but the VM is still busted.
    I would reinstall the software and drivers, and if nothing else, rebuild the VM. I don't know how you build them, but I try to get the Win7 OS updated after installing, which can take a while if you do it through the win update only. With an up to date OS it should be fine. I use the CVTPro with a Digiport USB to serial and S2 device both with no issue, and seamless quick performance.
    I do not use the B&B device, that might also be a source of frustration

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by numbawunfela View Post
    It sounds like the VM is busted, and the increased resources on the host machine gave a marginal improvement, but the VM is still busted.
    I would reinstall the software and drivers, and if nothing else, rebuild the VM. I don't know how you build them, but I try to get the Win7 OS updated after installing, which can take a while if you do it through the win update only. With an up to date OS it should be fine. I use the CVTPro with a Digiport USB to serial and S2 device both with no issue, and seamless quick performance.
    I do not use the B&B device, that might also be a source of frustration
    Thanks for the input. I'm no Vm expert that's for sure! My process for building them is to have one Vm that I load all the software, and complete the updates, drivers and get it where I want. Then I clone that machine from that point for others. Have you tried a Win 10 32bit Vm with HVAC pro? If I'm going to build a new Vm it would be nice to start with the most current OS. The B&B device has always seemed good with my other laptop, but I've always wanted one of the S2 devices. Probably will purchase one to try out.

Post Likes
    I use the same process for mine as well. 'VM busted' can be basically any issue you would have as if it were a separate entire machine. So update the drivers, uninstall and reinstall them, and try a different I interface device... the normal stuff.
    I have done Metasys 9, CCT and HVACPro passthru on Win10x32. It works great.

Post Likes
    Thanks again. Well when I can find some time I will build a Win 10 32 bit machine and see how it works. Finding the time is the issue, very busy in our part of the world!!

Post Likes
    Ebay to the rescue.
    For under a $100 you can buy a descent Dell laptop with XP pro. Get the one with serial port
    No more messing around with VMs or USB converters
    I still do a lot of work on the legacy JCI stuff (DX9100 - UNT - VMA) and I always use old Dell laptops

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bozo123 View Post
    Ebay to the rescue.
    For under a $100 you can buy a descent Dell laptop with XP pro. Get the one with serial port
    No more messing around with VMs or USB converters
    I still do a lot of work on the legacy JCI stuff (DX9100 - UNT - VMA) and I always use old Dell laptops
    Yes for sure. Between myself and the company I work for we have plenty of machines. I'm just trying to get down to one laptop in the truck instead of three. Friend at work just bought a used netbook on ebay and loaded xp on it for $80.00 so those options are still out there.

2444 Washington Blvd, Suite 100 Ogden, UT
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Norriski Tech View Post
    Yes for sure. Between myself and the company I work for we have plenty of machines. I'm just trying to get down to one laptop in the truck instead of three. Friend at work just bought a used netbook on ebay and loaded xp on it for $80.00 so those options are still out there.
    What I have found to work reliably is running M-Tools in the following environment:
    1) 64-bit laptop with current Windows 10 installation as the host environment
    2) VMWare Workstation Pro
    3) Windows 10 32-bit version (this is critical) as the guest OS
    4) S2 USB485 USB to RS-485 converter & diagnostic utility downloaded from the S2 Innovations site
    Steve Jones, Managing Partner, The S4 Group, Inc.
    Do you know BACnet? Visit https://www.bacnetinternational.org/ or ask me for information.