Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Strangest Request

OK, my job is maintenance at a small local technical college. The majority of work I do is HVAC related but from time to time I get asked to fix other things. Some are not unusual at all; change light bulbs, replace ballast, replace remote light sensors, etc. Sometimes they get a little strange.

Our school has a huge nursing program and one building is dedicated to training people to become RN's. It is set up like a real hospital, with wards, delivery room, ER, etc. I have had to fix a hospital bed that was squeaking, and also repaired one of those medication carts that have a electronic locking mechanism. All the while looking at these lifelike mannequins that make breathing sounds, open and close their eyes, and are 100 percent anatomically correct. The students are performing nursing duties on them while the instructor is in a closed control room making the mannequins do all sorts of things.

As a side note, it is spooky walking in that place when classes are out and the lights are off. You can see the outline of the mannequins lying there in their beds motionless but looking like the could rise up any second.

Today though, well today was too funny not to pass along. I get the assignment sheet this morning and the standard stuff was on there; VAV making too much noise for instructor to teach, boiler pump leaking, classroom lights going out after only 5 mins, remote lights failing to come one when someone enters the room and then this jewel. "Please find a screw and replace hand on the skeleton!" I get to the lab and sure enough, one of the many skeletons was missing its hand and ulna. So I find a small zip screw and reattach the hand and ulna to the rest of the skeleton. That was a first for me but this job is still pretty cool.

Post Likes
    If that were a human you'd be making 7 figures working on bones.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

3. Likes Fender60, BALloyd liked this post
    Post Likes
    Skeletons are so demanding
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

5. Likes Fender60, BALloyd liked this post
    Post Likes
    I find this humerus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

7. Likes Fender60, BALloyd liked this post
    Post Likes
    Just last week I had to rebuild "Frank's" hip. My wife teaches anatomy and physiology and Frank is her skeleton. The repair I made was similar to yours. It feels strange putting fasteners in human bones, even those long deceased. I'm pretty sure I couldn't be a surgeon.

9. Likes Fender60 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    If that were a human you'd be making 7 figures working on bones.
    and be 8 figures in debt!

11. Likes Fender60 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovert View Post
    Just last week I had to rebuild "Frank's" hip. My wife teaches anatomy and physiology and Frank is her skeleton. The repair I made was similar to yours. It feels strange putting fasteners in human bones, even those long deceased. I'm pretty sure I couldn't be a surgeon.
    Same tools, same skills, the 2 major differences are they use stainless steel screws @ probably $1000/per, and no anesthesiologist needed.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

13. Likes Fender60 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    and be 8 figures in debt!
    You'd have to be pretty bad to go that far backwards...

15. Likes Fender60 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Same tools, same skills, the 2 major differences are they use stainless steel screws @ probably $1000/per, and no anesthesiologist needed.
    Very true. I have a friend who is an orthopedic surgeon. He was, in terms of performing surgery, way ahead of his peers during his residency due to a background in construction. Many would be surgeons have never put in any time with a power tool before beginning their formal training.

17. Likes Fender60 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Lee Valley tools came out with a line of surgical tools (now a separate company) because they found out that there some doctors that were using their wood carving tools for surgical purposes but they were not surviving the repeated autoclave processes.

Post Likes
    What do you call the the medical school student who graduates last in the class?

Doctor.......
    You'd have to be pretty bad to go that far backwards...
    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I might screw the hand to a place it isn't usually found. That way I wouldn't be asked again.

I was once asked by an undertaker to help move a departed lady from table to casket. Fine with me and the undertaker gave me five bucks for my trouble.
    I didn't expect a tip and might have told him under different circumstances to forget it but when people want to give something it's best to quietly accept.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mbhydro View Post
    Lee Valley tools came out with a line of surgical tools (now a separate company) because they found out that there some doctors that were using their wood carving tools for surgical purposes but they were not surviving the repeated autoclave processes.
    Lee Valley Tools....World class.
    Last time in NH my Son-in-law showed me his new additions of LV wood planes. About $1200 worth. I'm a tad too rough on my tools to warrant owning tools like this. Their nice enough to invite to dinner.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast