Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    40
    Post Likes

    Starting gas back up blower motor for swimming pool bubble.

    Hello all,
    I cant really find anything on the web about how to control this. Are current gas motor keeps burning up starters. The controls are very old. Is there some sort of sensor that tells the starter to dis engage after the motor starts running?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    7,043
    Post Likes
    kinda hard to help you with such a vague question, and so little information.

    do you have any equipment information? manufacturer, model, etc?

    what does the "gas motor" do? inducer fan motor?

    is it a wye delta starter? how big is the motor?

    generally, a starter energizes the motor for it to run, and only disengages when the motor needs to stop running......

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    40
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    kinda hard to help you with such a vague question, and so little information.

    do you have any equipment information? manufacturer, model, etc?
    what does the "gas motor" do? inducer fan motor?

    is it a wye delta starter? how big is the motor?

    generally, a starter energizes the motor for it to run, and only disengages when the motor needs to stop running......

    Sorry for being so vague. There are to blowers to keep the bubble up. There is a primary blower that has a 10hp motor. The secondary blower has 2 motors a 5 hp motor and a gas motor. The gas motor is used when the power fails to keep the bubble up. What I am really looking for is a controller to send a signal to start the gas motor and de energize the starter when it has started. We keep burning up starters on this motor. We had an outage last week and the bubble came down. It poked a large hole in it where the handi cap chair is. Glad we where on holiday vacation and no body was in it. This system was built in 1989. So the gas motor is pretty dumb. I dont know what kind of signal to get back to the controller to say it started. also looked all over the web for a controller that can do this for me.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    25,585
    Post Likes
    Adapt a generator Auto Start

    No power to the 5-HP back up start the gas motor, Pressure switch / centrifugal Switch then disengages the starter!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    40
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Adapt a generator Auto Start

    No power to the 5-HP back up start the gas motor, Pressure switch / centrifugal Switch then disengages the starter!
    Just found this.
    https://dynagen.com/es52-auto-start-engine-controller

    I think this will do what I want. Looks like it senses the mag needle and disconnects the starter. What do you think?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    7,043
    Post Likes
    Just use an ICM450 phase monitor. Use the NO contacts to break the electric motor starter. Wire the gas motor through the NC contacts.

    When you have electricity, the phase monitor closes the control relay, powering the electric motor starter. When power fails, it de energized the control contacts....the electric motor starter opens, and closes the NC contact starting the gas motor. Cheap, simple, and programmable for phase protection also. Auto restart after failure too.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    40
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    Just use an ICM450 phase monitor. Use the NO contacts to break the electric motor starter. Wire the gas motor through the NC contacts.

    When you have electricity, the phase monitor closes the control relay, powering the electric motor starter. When power fails, it de energized the control contacts....the electric motor starter opens, and closes the NC contact starting the gas motor. Cheap, simple, and programmable for phase protection also. Auto restart after failure too.
    I see that working for sending the signal to the es52. I need a controller to start and stop my motor. I dont see how a phase monitor would tell the starter on the motor to disengage when running? Am I missing something? Keep in.mind this motor is from 1989 and has no auto start function built into it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    7,043
    Post Likes
    How do you start it now? Use the ICM as a pilot relay for the secondary relay to start the motor. Use another relay to break the power to the distributor to stop it. Pretty simple.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    26,903
    Post Likes
    I thinking that a relay to operate the starter motor with the coil in series with a pressure switch on the oil pressure would work. A 12VDC relay with the end of the circuit to ground though the oil pressure switch. For an indicator light they are NC.

    If the engine also charges the starting battery you could use a diode and a 12VDC relay on the output from the alternator to kill the power to the start circuit.

    PHM
    --------


    Quote Originally Posted by NMTech View Post
    Sorry for being so vague. There are to blowers to keep the bubble up. There is a primary blower that has a 10hp motor. The secondary blower has 2 motors a 5 hp motor and a gas motor. The gas motor is used when the power fails to keep the bubble up. What I am really looking for is a controller to send a signal to start the gas motor and de energize the starter when it has started. We keep burning up starters on this motor. We had an outage last week and the bubble came down. It poked a large hole in it where the handi cap chair is. Glad we where on holiday vacation and no body was in it. This system was built in 1989. So the gas motor is pretty dumb. I dont know what kind of signal to get back to the controller to say it started. also looked all over the web for a controller that can do this for me.

    Thanks
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •