Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    AHS said needs to have TXV in handler. Techs have been out just to say condenser locked but not why except for missing TXV inside. But even if their guy did work he wouldve used Goodman or Carrier but with TXV so in all likelihood they wouldve blown unit too???

Post Likes
    If they require a TXV ( Home warranty company ) the OD unit may also need a matching start assist kit if you have a reciprocating compressor. But the damage was already done as the compressor failed with a piston,...at least that’s how I’m reading it.

Post Likes
    Remember the model #? I recall 1997 we were mostly 10 SEER and Trane used a piston inside. Wasn't till you got higher SEER did they require a TXV and that was for EFFICIENCY only. It would work on the right size piston just fine though not get as high of a SEER rating.

The sucker was just worn out. But a home warranty company doesn't miss a chance to screw you.

If you end up stuck buying a new HP, I'd get a York/Coleman product that matches your air handler.

Post Likes
    Appears to be trane xe 1200 twp036c100a4...and did use hard start kit. Says 1996 actually home is from 97

Post Likes
    You wouldn't happen to have the model number of the old air handler would. If so, post it here. Someone may be able to pull up the specs, and see if it came with a piston or TXV.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    As I see it the issue is in heating so piston or TXV for the inside coil really should not matter unless they did not use a biflow TXV. The old Trane has a TXV in it with the supporting check valves.

What they need is a tech that can diagnose something more than beer can cold.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    As I see it the issue is in heating so piston or TXV for the inside coil really should not matter unless they did not use a biflow TXV. The old Trane has a TXV in it with the supporting check valves.

What they need is a tech that can diagnose something more than beer can cold.
    With a home warranty company......

Good Luck!

Post Likes
    Sounds to me like you’ve had several repairs adding up to payback or exceed the amount you put in to the warranty.

Time to cut your losses and use professional contractors, not fly-by-night home warranty contractors.

Pay your guy to properly match the outdoor unit with the air handler you’ve already had installed.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Ok so getting the coleman condenser and a TXV install. So AHS said txv shouldve been on air handler. Ive also read how some systems have one outside. Is it necessary to have two? Is one on a/c and other on heat? Is this just for even more efficiency and not required?

Post Likes
    Why would a system have two?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ismael Diaz View Post
    Why would a system have two?
    One metering device for cooling, one metering device for heating, the cooling metering device ( at indoor unit ) is bypassed for heating and the OD unit metering device is functioning. Vise versa for cooling.

Then of course there’s the defrost..which means your basically in A/C mode.

Post Likes
    And now we are back to the reason I said the Trane condenser has a TXV outside so for a heating problem a TXV on the inside is of no consequence. It is only used in cooling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12