Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Trane outside Coleman inside requires TVX?

I have a 97 trane r22 condenser. A tech put in Coleman air handler and switched out piston to work with r22 unit. Unit wasnt heating and American Home Shield authorized replacement due to leaking coil and i got my own tech. New handler didn't seem to fix problem. My tech Came out again and said condenser is locked and needs to go. AHS sent own company n they saying trane requires TVX and I cant use piston so too bad you're out of luck installer screwed you. Is this true? Is this a trane requirement only? Ive talked to other techs n they say not required and condensers fail due to internal mechanical failure a TVX wouldn't prevent that. Say theyre looking for any excuse when truth is its a 97 and just died.

Post Likes
    The condenser doesn't care if its connected to a piston or TXV system.

If the compressor locked up. It could be that the indoor piston was not the right size, or that the indoor air flow was too low. Or, it just simply wore out.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    22 years, you did good, time for a new one. Just like a car, how many people are driving around in a 22 YO car, that would have already been replace 4X or more by now? New AC is a fraction of the cost of a car.

As far as those middle man home repair companies, that do nothing more than contact a contractor that is available, not a big fan and don't work with them. Now you have 2 layers of trust, trusting some middle man company to call out a second person that they do not even know.

Always best to call an HVAC company directly.

Post Likes
    I'm thinking the bigger issue is a mismatch of equipment. With straight air conditioning you can get by with a mismatch, but a heat pump (which I'm guessing you have) is a lot more fussy.

What it sounds like you have is a 22 year old, low seer outdoor unit, matched up to a brand new, higher seer indoor coil. Weather you have a piston or a TXV, you will still have a mismatch, which makes getting the correct charge that works for both heating and cooling almost impossible.

This is because new coils are bigger than they used to be (both indoor and outdoor). With air conditioning you can usually adjust the charge to compensate for this, but a heat pump really needs to be a correct match.

Also, home warranty companies suck. They send out the bottom feeders of the HVAC world, who usually don't have a clue as to what they're doing. There goals are to get in and out as quickly and as cheaply as possible, and the result is often what you ended up with.

The only solution is to pony up a big pile of money and get a reputable company out there to assess your situation. My guess is they will probably have to fix some install issues with the Coleman air handler, switch it back to a 410A metering device, and then install a matching outdoor unit to go with it. Any solution other than that I just don't see being able to work.

Good luck.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    You're right its probably like 12 seer outside n yes its a heat pump n inside is ready for 14 seer but both are 5ton units. I just wanna make sure theres no requirement set by trane like they can whip out a trane manual and say see here page 9 paragraph 4 in mismatched units must have txv. I need to be able to say home warranty making stuff up. They're sending someone else for 2nd opinion so i need to arm myself to know to tell him that siding with first guy is BS. I did contact a couple outside companies n one guy said a TXV isnt cause of failure compressor fails due to something mechanical inside...a propeller is seized up???
    My tech did try bigger hard start kit to no avail.

Post Likes
    Dump the Warranty Company!!!

Post Likes
    Did AHS pay for the indoor unit install? How long ago was the Coleman unit installed?
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Yes they did but i used my own company not theirs. He just did it on 25th. Ive paid for whole year so covered till about March. Whole point of this is to get them to pay for condenser

Post Likes
    Yes they did but i used my own company not theirs. He just did it on 25th. Ive paid for whole year so covered till about March. Whole point of this is to get them to pay for condenser

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ismael Diaz View Post
    Never going to happen

They win...….You Loose

Post Likes
    They replaced air handler...fixed ice maker on fridge too

Post Likes
    The piston that was put in on the inside is only for cooling. The Trane unit has a TXV inside it that could be the problem or it could be the mismatch coil as others have said. You need a tech to figure it out which it does not appear you have had yet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ismael Diaz View Post
    They replaced air handler...fixed ice maker on fridge too
    If your happy fine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast