0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on AAON chillers?

So today my VP of Operations sent me this email:

"What do you think of AAON chillers for our facility?"

Along with this link:

https://texasusedchillers.com/wp-con...chure-0806.pdf

I know nothing of this brand, but I know he's responding to my constant gripes about our York YV and YF chillers, which have been, and continue to be, maintenance and reliability nightmares. I'm looking for experienced opinions on the AAON line, please. My initial (and totally uneducated reaction was, "Wow, Harbor Freight chillers now?" Please educate me to the extent you will.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaon makes decent equipment. I've worked on a fair amount of their RTU's. I like how they lay out the compartments, cabinet quality is good and sturdy, nice doors, latches, etc. component layout is common sense oriented....well thought out. parts can be a little pricey.

never worked on a chiller from them....but looking at their site, it looks like you can get danfoss turbocore's, the scrolls look like Bitzer's. not sure about controls.

check out their site.

3. Likes icy78 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. Does anyone have any input on how their service support has gone for them?

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OHDataCenterGuy View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Does anyone have any input on how their service support has gone for them?
    Your question about service support addresses my standard recommendation for what brand to choose. I would add to that, whoever has the strongest support IN YOUR AREA. I've seen significant differences between different shops of the same brand.
    I have nothing to add about AAON chillers, because I've never even walked up to one.
    In honor of RichardL: "Ain't 'None' of us as smart as 'All' of us".

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW with a with of 8' (too be able to truck it) that could be some tight quarters to work in!

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your question was specific to anyone with experience with their chillers, but I will add....if the quality of their RTU’s is transferred into the chiller line up, a york will look like a stamped steel, flimsy, poorly thought out hunk of sheet metal next to it.

My only question is the controls. York does have the experience behind the brand for great chiller operational controls. JCI May have screwed the pooch on that one with the newer equipment though, especially if you’re having so many problems with the free cooling units.

Since JCI bought York, the commitment to quality has given way to commitment to stock holders. Same with carrier, both badges are an unfortunate shell of their former greatness.