Post Likes

help, my oil burner is not working

oil burner pump is not pulling in fuel. This is a single line system and beckett says that I should feel vacuum at pump inlet with the bleed port opened but I dont. The pump strainer is clean. Any ideas what could be wrong and how to test?

Additional info: Yesterday, I closed the oil line shutoff valve (located 20 feet away at the oil tank) to change the oil filter. After changing it, I forgot to open the shutoff valve. I turned on my heater and it stopped after a minute or so. It does that if there is excessive air in the line (from changing the filter). So, i did what I always do, I pressed the manual red reset button to reset safety switch on the Honeywell R8184G Oil Primary Control. At that point the heater fires back up and I open the bleed port on the Beckett AFG pump and a mixture of air and fuel comes out. I do that until just fuel comes out, then I tighten it and enjoy warmth coming from my vents. It is wonderful. Except this time the Honeywell red safety switch tripped again (sometimes that happens, so I just press it again and open the bleed port again as indicated above). Well this second time and a 3rd and 4th time, I never again got a solid stream of fuel, just a mixture of fuel and air. Then I remembered that I never opened the oil line shutoff valve, so I did that. After that nothing comes out the bleed port on the Beckett pump. I tried that three times, each time until the Honeywell red safety switch tripped. I thought I maybe broke something trying to use my heater with the oil line shutoff valve closed. However, just now reading the Honeywell R8184G Oil Primary Control instructions, it instructs "safety check feature simulate flame failure" to close the oil line shutoff valve and make sure the unit shuts down, then to press the red reset safety switch on the Honeywell R8184G Oil Primary Control. Which I did, but I still get no fuel to the beckett (as listed above).

I have used the heater a few times in the past 2 weeks before I changed the filter (as listed above), and it worked fine. I also checked the new filter install and everything looks good and made sure I got flow thru the filter and checked the entire line oil tank to Beckett is unobstructed.

I just removed the inlet oil supply line where it attaches to the Beckett pump (suntek) and fired her up. I feel no vacuum at the pump inlet. So, I asked beckett and see 1st paragraph above.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong and how to test?

tks,
    paul

Post Likes
    Time to call your service provider.

NOTE:
    Press that reset only ONE time. If it trips leave it off and call for service!

Post Likes
    We cannot give information on how to test or repair your unit. Site rules prohibit giving advice for DIY.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Didn't we just do this over at HH.com?
    https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discus...working#latest
    Same answers...
    You don't have the tools, training, knowledge or parts to fix it. Gonna need a pro.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    Didn't we just do this over at HH.com?
    https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discus...working#latest
    Same answers...
    You don't have the tools, training, knowledge or parts to fix it. Gonna need a pro.
    "But I can fix it by myself if someone will just tell me how!"
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    OP, you’ve got threads going on at least 2 different DIY forums, here, and on the wall. You’ve had threads closed here before for diy work (especially that one where you insisted on trying to set up an oil burner by sight only), and have abandoned others where the folks were trying to help.
    I’d highly recommend sticking with one thread and answering the questions asked.
    And from your one diy thread, putting your finger over the suction port to feel for suction isn’t a test. They make tools to test such a thing.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Time to call your service provider.

NOTE:
    Press that reset only ONE time. If it trips leave it off and call for service!
    I don't even recommend pushing it once! Many bad things could happen. Sometimes the contacts weld close. The burner runs without firing and loads the chamber with oil. Then they better hope it doesn't fire.
    Homeowners think it's like a car and the oil dries, so they try again. Over and over. And of course lie about it.

Really helps on diagnostics to let the oil burner tech push the reset and see what is happening.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Get a qualified company in to solve your oil burner problems.

This is not a DIY site.

Thread closed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?