Thread: Difference in Trane A/C

Post Likes

Difference in Trane A/C

Had a quote for a 5 ton, 16 seer Trane Compressor 4TTR6061, straight cool with electric heat, with a Trane Air Handler Tem6A0C60. When the installers showed up thankfully I checked model numbers before they started and they were installing a 4TTR6060 compressor (I believe is only 14 seer) and an air handler with a completely different number that I didn't get a chance to write down. When I queried them about the difference, they called the office who blamed it on an order desk mistake. They took the incorrect units back and rescheduled installation.

I'm left wondering if it was an honest mistake or whether I was getting scammed. I'm assuming the units being installed were cheaper?

Post Likes
    5-TON ... _ _ _ ... I never spec a 5-ton due to VERY HIGH Probability of Air Distribution issues.

Straight Electric: You must be located South of 27.7' N Latitude

System Selection to be reviewed for SEER.
    4 & 5 ton systems frequently miss the mark on GENERAL series SEER rating.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Not to avoid your question, but like Dan posted above I’d first want to know if my home really needed 5 tons, or if a heat pump would be more of an economical option instead of straight electric heat.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    4TTR6060J1 with TEM6AOD60H = 15.0 SEER
    AHRI 8630748

Q. Sensible COOLING 43,440 BTU/HR
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    I live in SW Florida, 4,000 sq ft, two story house. I have 3 A/C units - 2 ton for upstairs, 2 ton for MBR, and a 5 ton for main level (incl 3 BR & 3 Bath).

Post Likes
    9 tons for 4,000 square feet?!?!
    I’d want a load calculation to verify that.
    A heat pump could help save considerably on your energy usage.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrat View Post
    I live in SW Florida, 4,000 sq ft, two story house.

I have 3 A/C units - 2 ton for upstairs, 2 ton for MBR,
    and a 5 ton for main level (incl 3 BR & 3 Bath).
    __ 9 tons for 4,000 Sq Feet … seems like a Rule-of-Thumb selection from 1964.

__ SOUNDS LIKE GROSSLY MISCALCULATED EQUIPMENT SELECTION
    __ or was Your Residence built prior to 1980.

__ DAN SW FL _ more Specifically South Lee County

__ Recently constructed home would only need 4 or 5 tons TOTAL for realistic Design Temperatures

You don't happen to set your thermostats to 69'F, DO You?

My Gmail address: racingdan11

Post Likes
    Post the model number of the changed Air Handler, will be able to tell you the SEER and EER, or if you even have a matched system.

You can’t go by the SEER rating of the OD unit alone, need the ID selection to get the AHRI number.

Lastly when you figure all this out make sure your system gets registered, as manufacturers warranty decreases significantly if never registered.

Post Likes
    They usually don't tell when they have a digit off like that. Both have LG compressors, 1 has a 3 bladed fan, other has a 2 blade. Usually some little tweek like changing the sensible heat ratio or maybe 1 has a better EER than the other since the SW requires a higher EER.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    9 tons for 4,000 square feet?!?!
    I’d want a load calculation to verify that.

A heat pump could help save considerably on your energy usage.
    There is NO HEATING Necessary in SW FL most " Winters ".
    ASHRAE Fundamentals data: < 44'F for < 35 hours / year

" END of Winter " could be the last week in January.

A/C is definitely used Every month of the year.

[ The only Heating is to keep the pool at 80'F + ]

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    There is NO HEATING Necessary in SW FL most " Winters ".
    ASHRAE Fundamentals data: < 44'F for < 35 hours / year

A/C is used Every month of the year.

[ The only Heating is to keep the pool at 80'F + ]
    Dan, that said, is there reason to have electric heat whatsoever here? Or a heat pump with no backup?
    I’ve heard of areas in Florida using heat pumps with no auxiliary heat but I’m admittedly somewhat dense on the idea.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Dan, that said, is there reason to have electric heat whatsoever here?

Or a heat pump with no backup?

I’ve heard of areas in Florida using heat pumps with no auxiliary heat
    but I’m admittedly somewhat dense on the idea.
    All air handlers in IECC Climate Zone 1 ( 7 Counties in South Florida) will have heat strips.
    Some mid- January use may be required for a few/several days for ~ 3+ hours/day
    if one wishes to maintain ~ 74'F.

Climate Zone 2 buildings are now required by FL Bldg Code to have heat pumps.
    Heat strips would always be installed for Emergency use IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes

CONCEPTUAL BLOCK LOAD

_ |. BLOCK LOAD .|_

Q. SENSIBLE COOLING 55,300 BTU/HR

WALLS / CMU; R-5 { minimal }
    CEILING R-30
    SLAB

POOR QUALITY WINDOWS, SINGLE Pane
    TOTAL GLASS AREA: 500 SQ FT

5+ Tons; NOT 9
    ~ 5 Tons, IF Windows are tinted OR 2nd floor walls are wood framing.

No description of AHUs, duct locations or Year Built were provided.

Heat Strip capacity Total: 13 KW
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in