Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    A story I would like to share about a lady supervisor at a government building. I fell in love with her because she was really smart and didn't put up with BS from anyone. She was also beautiful but that didn't help or hinder her. They had paid for the design and modification of several multi fan penthouses because the fans had never tracked each other. The modifications didn't solve the problem and she ask the area supervisor who to get a second opinion from.
    I was ask to balance the fans but this cagey lady instructed everyone to not even tell me there was a problem. The first thing I did was look at the controls program and the fan current draw. It was obvious the fans weren't tracking each other in any of the pent houses so I went to the roof to find out why. It turned out the fans had inlet vanes all of which were being controlled by a single pneumatic controller. The sloppy mechanical linkage couldn't possibly get the fans to track. The fans had good quality flow grids on each inlet. My solution was to make the fans track each other using velocity pressure.
    I was told the engineer they used was highly sought after in the area and basically they trusted him not me. I responded if you want the damn things to work do what I'm telling you otherwise listen to him but I'm going home.
    The lady supervisor was impressed that I found the problem so quick not even being told there was a problem and instructed them to do one pent house the way I told them. It worked perfectly and the lady wanted me to come back and test that set of fans. I agreed and as before ask her to reserve me a spot in their guarded parking lot.
    I drove to the building and the guard wouldn't let me in the parking lot. I went around to the front (main) parking lot and ask the guard to call the lady in charge of the building but she called the head of security instead. He came out and I ask him to call her but instead he threatened to put me in handcuffs if I didn't leave. As luck would have it the head dog lady had looked out her window and saw there was a problem and called the head of security. He handed me the phone and she told me to go back to the back parking lot. I told her I had been there and the guard wouldn't let me in. She said go back and I guaranty you he will let you in. You have two spots reserved if you need them. I went back to the lot and the A-hole guard would have parked the van for me if I had ask him.
    She had ask me to come to her office first so we could talk and I did so. She told me you will never have that kind of problem again. You have good ideas and your solution to our problem appears to be working but I want you to verify everything is as it should be before we go any further with the work. The fans were tracking on the money and I let her know that.
    As previously said this lady didn't put up with anything but the way things should be and was smart enough to see the difference between BS and fact.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Likes ksefan, crazzycajun, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I was working at a defense contractor building until late one night. Apparently I left my lights on when I arrived in the day time. By now the battery was dead. I walked back into the front desk and asked the security guard if he could give me jump start - I had jumper cables. He said no he had a new car and would not take a chance on messing something up. I notice he kept looking down at a video monitor while we were talking. I asked him again if he would give me a jump start. He said no again. I leaned across the desk so I could see the video screen. I looked at the video screen. I looked up at him. I looked down at the video screen and I looked up at him. I asked one more time if he would give me a jump start and he said "Let me get my keys".

There was an adult video drive in theater adjacent to the facility. He had pointed the camera toward the screen and was watching the movie on the security camera. I let him know I caught him by looking at the video, then him, then the video. I didn't say I would report him but he decided to not chance it.
    If "I have always done it this way" is a good reason to do it again, how many times do I have to do something wrong - before it becomes right?

4. Likes WAYNE3298 liked this post.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123