Thread: Help With Thermostat Problem

Post Likes

Help With Thermostat Problem

Hi there, I turned the thermostat from heat to cool very quickly, and now the cool just won't start. The temperature is set correctly, and other functions like 'auto - heat' work, just not 'auto - cool'.
    It seems like turning it from heat to cool really quickly caused something to malfunction.
    Is there anything I can do to get it working again?
    The thermostat is one of those older Honeywell analog models.
    It was working perfectly up until now.
    Thanks very much.

Post Likes
    24vac still on red terminal? Did you try jumping red to yellow and green and see what happens?

Post Likes
    Sorry Brooke Hill I'm just a homeowner, I need it in layman's terms...Thanks!

Post Likes
    Since I am new here, and there are probably rules on how to post on this issue, I'll default and see how the regular members respond to something like this. It's in my nature to want to tell you to pull out a meter and start checking, but I'll just watch what the other guys tell ya. I am just having a feeling that you might have lost your transformer by the way you are describing it. And if it is fused, maybe that. It is doubtful that you tripped a breaker from the thermostat, but its possible if you cycled the compressor too fast. Good luck!

Post Likes
    Most of those Honeywell thermostats have a built in 5 minute delay. Switching quickly from heat to cool will activate the 5 minute timer. It’s a safety. Anytime you switch the power off or heat to cool will activate that timer. It’ll feel like an hour and a half timer, like waiting on water to boil. If it doesn’t restart automatically, it’s time for a service call to your local HVAC professional.
    There are two ways to do things, Right and Again.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shavedneon View Post
    Most of those Honeywell thermostats have a built in 5 minute delay. Switching quickly from heat to cool will activate the 5 minute timer. It’s a safety. Anytime you switch the power off or heat to cool will activate that timer. It’ll feel like an hour and a half timer, like waiting on water to boil. If it doesn’t restart automatically, it’s time for a service call to your local HVAC professional.
    Even the analog ones? Ive never seen the older analog ones with a delay.

Post Likes
    I had it on 'auto-cool' today for like 1 hour and nothing happened. It just sucks I may have to pay hundreds to a technician when it was something so simple - I just turned it from heat to cool quickly... When I lift off the cover their is all the wires and mercury, I wonder if there is something I can do to like 'reset' it.

Post Likes
    Do you have a friend who is handy with a meter?

Post Likes
    Brooke your correct on backing off on the diy. James you said the other functions work the indoor fan etc. , but the outdoor unit fails to come on? If this the case you still have low voltage, and this unit or tstat have a time delay relay that you probably activated. Leave it off at the stat for 5 minutes then turn it on and wait for 10 minutes. If it doesn’t start cooling you need a tech. This as far as we can go in this diy area good luck
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Your thermostat is just a switch. If you had a lamp that didn’t work, the switch is the last thing you’d check. Would you blame the switch if you turned it on and off quickly? A thermostat really is just a switch, if your unit suddenly stopped working it’d be a coincidence, and not the cause. If a bulb burns out when turning a light on, it’s not because you switched it on too quickly, it was going to break. A good HVAC tech should diagnose the problem, and approach you with options to repair. Could be something simple, could be something major. It’s going to need a tech to diagnose. Beyond checking the machine is plugged in and has power, the doors are on and filters are clean, we can’t be any help here. If someone goes out and tells you something that sounds preposterous, come back and we’ll shoot straight with you. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
    There are two ways to do things, Right and Again.

Post Likes
    Got a HW tsat #? I think your "naming" of the switch settings is a little mis- leading. What do you have for settings on the "system switch"? OFF-HEAT-AUTO-COOL? (4 diff settings)Then the "fan switch" has FAN-ON-AUTO ?. (2 settings).

It can't be set for "auto-heat or auto-cool".

Post Likes
    Moved to AOP.

Probably just a coincidence that the A/C stopped working. Time to call in a contractor.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in