Post Likes

Trane XL14C Inducer Motor Assembly

Hello - just found this forum and this is my first post.

Live in NC and have a Trane XL14C system that is nearly 10 years old. Was purchased and installed back in April 2010 and replaced a 12 year old Carrier system at the time.

Recently the unit started emitting a loud hum upon startup. The local contractor/technician diagnosed it as needing a new Inducer Motor Assembly which I believe includes the blower, board and wiring. The functional parts had a warranty of 5 years so no longer covered. Obviously all systems are different and there is no crystal ball on future issues but am wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular unit and its life span. Will Trane's last 12-15 years typically? I am nervous about tossing money into a repair only to run into more issues soon. First cost estimate for the repair was like 25% of a new system and I am gathering additional service quotes.

Thankfully the unit has done well over the years for us.

Appreciate any insight the pros wish to share, thanks!

Post Likes
    Did you register this unit initially, if in a residential home you should have a 10 years parts warranty, no? Who told you your warranty is 5 years, the Tech.?

Post Likes
    Get a second opinion. Pricing is not allowed on this site, but it can vary greatly between contractors. The part itself is not all too terribly expensive. It takes about 15 minutes to install a new one, very simple for a qualified tech. The control board does not need to be replaced just because the induced draft motor fails. However, I don’t know if the control board is bad or not. The replacement draft motor does come with a conversion kit which is simply an adapter plug with pigtail wires.
    The XL14c is a very good, very quiet, gas pack unit. It has a stainless steel heat exchanger and burners for longevity.

I’d give you a quote if you lived on the Knotts Island side, but I don’t go any further into Carolina from VA Beach.

You can check your existing warranty at this LINK.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Great suggestions ... thank you! I did call Trane re: the warranty and we did register the units back when we bought them. For some reason one system listed parts warranty as 10 years and the other system listed it as 5 years. Trane has done the right thing and corrected the registered warranty info. Thus the parts are now covered and I will only need to pay labor. Also glad to hear you have a positive view of the XL14c unit itself. Much appreciate the quick replies, thanks again.

Post Likes
    What did the company say after you told them those parts where under warranty? are they going to replace both the control board and motor assembly, or just one item.

Post Likes
    So the motor assembly was replaced, not the control board. I was mistaken and thought the control board was part of the proposed fix. They also ended up replacing the gas valve which wouldn't open after the motor assembly was replaced. All good for now!

Post Likes
    Sooo, what is the warranty on that motor and gas valve assembly, one year or until your 10 years is reached or a basic 30 day. What does the invoice say or the company say?

If it’s important to you, may want to check the manufacturers web-site of those parts, may be different than what the installing Contractor is offering or says.

Post Likes
    The 10 year warranty ends in April 2020 but the manufacturer warranty for those two replacement parts is 1 year so goes until Dec 2020.