+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving VM to AWS help.

Post Likes

Confused Moving VM to AWS help.

Hello your friendly sysadmin here,

Just to let you know, I have zero experience working with this system. All the information I have is from exploring the Envision program and reviewing some limited documentation. I am a new sysadmin for our company.

I have been given the project of migrating our VM that has Envision 2.6 from a local ESXi to AWS. I moved the VM to AWS but getting the error that was saying that I could not have another Envision program running. I shutdown the original machine and now I'm getting the message that my key could not be found. Envision will run in offline mode. Can anyone help me?

Windows 7
    Envision for BACtalk 2.6 build 0019
    Devices allowd: unlimited
    Client workstations allowed: unlimited
    Servers allowed: 1
    Central DB server allowed:yes
    Web services allowed: yes

I found a HASP dongel emulator program on the machine. they seem to have the same licenes and key but the computer ID is diffrent. Hooked to the MAC or something???

Post Likes
    Later versions of the BACtalk software did allow for a software key, I'm not sure exactly when it switched over (maybe 3.0....). Earlier versions (like you have) required the USB key. I don't know if there is a way to make it work with a VM.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the quick reply!

The system is currently running on a VM with no physical key. I had found the HASP dongle emulator (virtual USB copier) program on the machine. I'm guessing this is how the key is being replicated. I might try to reach out to them also.

Post Likes
    I'm not familiar with Envision but in this industry seems like most software is tied to hardware somehow. I'd say you found the issue with that USB copier, might help if you had the original key too.

As a sysadmin how are you handling the communication between AWS and the site?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post

As a sysadmin how are you handling the communication between AWS and the site?
    We are using a site-to-site VPN connection. Allowing traffic to from our network only.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ_123746 View Post
    We are using a site-to-site VPN connection. Allowing traffic to from our network only.
    So depending on what the LAN setup was the new network will likely be on a different subnet from where the controllers are. BACnet BBMD and/or Foreign Device may need to be updated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    So depending on what the LAN setup was the new network will likely be on a different subnet from where the controllers are. BACnet BBMD and/or Foreign Device may need to be updated.
    The machine did get a new IP in a different subnet but traffic is allowed from the other network. We allow some vlans to have the same broadcast domain during our network switch.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in