Post Likes

Carrier VRF- heat recovery fail

I attended a well taught class on Carrier VRF technology and Carrier's system.

We were told that refrigerant can only be weighed in, if you experience a leak. No gages are to be used.
    Wow, system is sold as a replacement option for Chillers in 11 story building holding upwards of 100 lbs. of refrigerant. System uses 50% more piping then conventional.

So to repair a leak, you need to recover and weigh back in. Come on Carrier, there got to be a better way.

My customers would not be happy with AC or heating would be off all day in a high rise building so I can repair a refrigerant leak.

Post Likes
    I did an install where we put King valves on the inlet and Outlet of the EVAP coil line set. So that in the event of a leak we could Bshut off that coil and not lose system charge. That being said we had leaks and I never weighed in just did it off of pressure ratings and Supply air temp

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
    Text to speech does not work for me currently

Post Likes
    Like Minis you can add gas and get close enough but eventually the charge has to be pulled and weighed. With 100#'s that's shutting them down for at least a day!

Post Likes
    This isn’t isolated to Carrier.
    All VRF are critically charged. A scale must be used. If there’s a leak the charge should be pulled and weighed back in.
    I’m actually getting ready for a weekend job to do just that, for my 10 story tall Samsung DVM building. The fifth floor had a very easily repaired leak and I got the charge close by using compressor temps, discharge temps and such.
    During startups after I get the full charge in, I take my gauges off and put them in the truck. As they are pointless in the grand scheme of things.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    It seems like they could offer a solenoid valve that plugs into a board somewhere and allows the unit to charge itself. It really seems like those units have enough sensors to be able to do that.

Sent from mars using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The unit would still have a hard time determining correct charge or not.
    Initial charging is easy. The hard part is post leak when you’ve only lost a portion of the charge and you don’t have to reclaim to fix the leak.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    That's too bad. It would be nice if it was possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    The unit would still have a hard time determining correct charge or not.
    Initial charging is easy. The hard part is post leak when youve only lost a portion of the charge and you dont have to reclaim to fix the leak.
    Sent from mars using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I usually go by discharge temps if I have a leak. running everything 100% for about 15 minutes, I look for 170-190*.......but that's still just guessing.

9. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post